"No disks detected" during dual boot with WIndows 11

Tried disabling secure boot, but that didn’t change anything. . . .

Update: I am going to try to follow the advice in this post and:

turn off RST, switch RAID to AHCI, and disable secure boot

You did not tell us what you where doing when “No disks detected” was reported.
Please decribe the what is happending step by step.

I was trying install Fedora, and following the instructions here:

I shrank my C drive then booted from USB. I was able to set language and keyboard, but when it came to selecting my drive I got that error message.

Since my last post I tried turning off RST, switching RAID to AHCI, and disabling secure boot, but then couldn’t log into Windows 11 anymore! I had to restore Windows again. So I am back to square 1.

turn off bitlocker if you are installing on same drive after succesful installation turn bitlocker back on if you have it enabled

1 Like

Thank you, yes, forgot to mention that I also turned Bitlocker off.

can you show our disc partition. shrinked c: create new partition on where ou want to install fedora keep all raid, secure boot etc on. format new created partition → boot from usb install fedora keep recovery key ready you will need it later

I have 250GB SSD dualbooting w11 pro and fedora 110gb partition is for fedora

5P: Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.

You followed a Windows 10 tutorial that is a couple years old and describes installing to a second disk (but does recommend backups and Windows recovery media). The tutorial says nothing about checking to see what issues you can expect with linux on your hardware. There is no discussion firmware versions, RAID versus AHCI, secure boot, or RST. It omits discussion of checking the download image and the USB key for data erros.

I have a dual boot system with Windows 11, but a couple years ago. Since then, both Windows 11 and the system firmaware have seen many changes. I did not disable secure boot, just changed RAID to AHCI. I don’t use Bitlocker. I used Windows Disk Management to shrink the large Windows partition to make free space, left it unformatted, and booted the Fedora 36 Workstation installer from a USB key.

I suggest you make sure your system firmware is fully updated (check the vendor’s web site). Also check the Linux Hardware Database (LHDB) for issues with your hardware. If your network hardware is not supported by kernel.org drivers, you may want to buy a cheap USB wifi or ethernet dongle that works with Linux (e.g., from a vendor that tells you what chipset they use so you can find it in the LHDB.

Which Fedora image are you using (Workstation, netinstall, version)? As already mentioned, we need to confirm the actual disk layout as shown by Windows and Disks in the Fedora Workstation Live USB. I encountered hiccups with recent Windows 11 updates where Storage Manager display was incomplete.

1 Like

That image shows that you already partitioned the space you wanted to use for fedora. That does not work for a default install. It may be possible to use it for a custom install but that is a lot more detailed in configuration.

The proper way to shrink the windows partition leaves the freed up space as unallocated so it is available for fedora to use for installation.

1 Like

When you restored Windows, did you (or it) switch back out of AHCI mode?

You need to be in AHCI mode for the dual boot. I’m surprised that broke Windows (I switched RAID to AHCI recently and despite a BIOS warning that didn’t break Windows). But if broken, Windows could be repaired while still in AHCI mode, then you are NOT back to square 1.

I’m a bit confused by the partition information shown. That is someone else’s system? They are trying to help you? Or trying to get similar help themselves?

Anyway, you do want to shrink the C: partition to leave room to install Fedora, but:

As Jeff already said, you don’t want to do that. Leave the space (freed by shrinking C) unpartitioned.

1 Like

You are absolutely right. I need to slow down and prepare the Windows system. I am a bit fed up with Windows and have been intending to transition to Linux for some time now, and just feeling frustrated that it isn’t easier to just install and start playing around.

I have a Workstation image.

I will do some updates and backups and then post back here with info about the disk layout.

just to be clear, that wasn’t my (the original poster’s) image, but someone trying to help me

I am not certain if when I restored Windows, did you (or it) switch back out of AHCI mode? I had to get things working again very quickly without much thought to those details.