Mouse pointer

Mouse pointer hides on any application screen, persists if I keep Fedora setup program open

Welcome to ask.fedora @vareli

Could you give us a bit more information how your setup looks like?
inxi -Fzx would be a good start. Please execute it in the terminal and and post the output as pre-formatted </> text.

What fedora setup program?
Did you mean the gnome settings panel? or something else?

Hi there! I seem to be experiencing a similar or maybe the same problem. Today my pointer just seems to disappear and act up in certain conditions. I’m using Fedora 37 and it worked fine before (even a couple of days running Fedora 37). To go into more detail:

  • The default cursor (Adwaita) isn’t affected, this one works fine.
  • Almost every other custom cursor (e.g. Bibita, Oreo, Google Dot, BreezeX) is affected except for Posy’s cursor from what I’ve tested.

What’s happening:

  • The cursor disappears when opening certain applications (Firefox, Libre Office, Gnome Tweaks, all installed via rpm). It disappears only when the pointer is on the window, so not next to the windows if there is an empty desktop.
  • Pointer is still visible in the panel above, the Dock, Overview and empty Desktop screen.
  • Some applications also crash when the cursor is changed (Firefox and Gnome Tweaks).

However, sometimes it is different:

  • Sometimes the cursor becomes visible again after a few tries of changing it. However, it seems that they still don’t work as intended as they don’t change looks when hovering over a link or a text field - it just remains the normal “mouse” pointer.
  • When the cursor is visible the applications are way more likely to crash (Firefox seems to run especially unstable in this case, even though I never had a problem with it crashing)

Everything runs fine if the default cursor is selected. I only noticed this behaviour today but I didn’t use my PC for 4 days or so. The system is completely up to date. Maybe someone has any idea what could cause this problem. If there is any need for further information, I would happily provide to help.

This is the output of the inxi -Fzx command:

  Kernel: 6.0.9-300.fc37.x86_64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
    v: 2.38-24.fc37 Desktop: GNOME v: 43.1 Distro: Fedora release 37 (Thirty
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: S400CA v: 1.0
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: S400CA v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: S400CA.208 date: 02/05/2013
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 34.1 Wh (87.9%) condition: 38.8/45.3 Wh (85.5%)
    volts: 11.2 min: 11.2 model: ASUSTek X402--40 status: discharging
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i5-3337U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 3 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 874 high: 1097 min/max: 800/2700 cores: 1: 800 2: 800
    3: 800 4: 1097 bogomips: 14365
  Flags: avx ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915
    v: kernel arch: Gen-7 bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Device-2: Sunplus Innovation Asus Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
    bus-ID: 1-1.2:4
  Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 22.1.5 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.5
    compositor: gnome-shell driver: dri: crocus gpu: i915
    resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.2 Mesa 22.2.3 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB
    GT2) direct render: Yes
  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.0.9-300.fc37.x86_64 running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.61 running: yes
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter vendor: AzureWave
    driver: ath9k v: kernel bus-ID: 02:00.0
  IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: alx v: kernel port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
  IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
  Device-1: IMC Networks Bluetooth USB Host Controller type: USB driver: btusb
    v: 0.8 bus-ID: 1-1.1:3
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: down bt-service: enabled,running
    rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes address: see --recommends
  Local Storage: total: 245.94 GiB used: 53.68 GiB (21.8%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SSD PLUS 240GB size: 223.58 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Kingston model: SMSM150S324G size: 22.37 GiB
  ID-1: / size: 68.36 GiB used: 52.98 GiB (77.5%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda3
  ID-2: /boot size: 973.4 MiB used: 274.1 MiB (28.2%) fs: ext4
    dev: /dev/sda2
  ID-3: /boot/efi size: 511 MiB used: 450.7 MiB (88.2%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/sda1
  ID-4: /home size: 68.36 GiB used: 52.98 GiB (77.5%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/sda3
  ID-1: swap-1 type: zram size: 7.65 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/zram0
  System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 3400
  Processes: 277 Uptime: 8m Memory: 7.65 GiB used: 2.81 GiB (36.7%)
  Init: systemd target: graphical (5) Compilers: gcc: 12.2.1 Packages: 62

Gnome Setup Program.

Gnome Settings Panel.

I found a fix for my problem, thanks so someone from this forum in a different post.

The custom cursors affected were saved in the /home/USERNAME/icons folder. Moving them to the /usr/share/icons folder made them all work again as before.

So if there is a problem with a custom cursor, this might be the solution.