Linux driver for monitor Dell

Hello!

Installed Fedora 38 today, and saw the following problem.

My monitor ( Dell UltraScarpUP2516D ) is currently connected to a PC and an Android TV set-top box. Each device is connected to the monitor with a separate HDMI cable. So I use one audio output from the monitor. BUT! Fedora does not see this audio output channel. The sound is only on the audio output from the PC.

Tried to find a Linux driver for my monitor, but to no avail.

It is important for me to use two devices in parallel without switching the audio cable every time.

Please tell me if there is a way to solve this problem?

One should be able to set the audio output from fedora to the hdmi interface. Most are able to send the audio to the tv/monitor that way instead of using the sound card.

1 Like

I assume you tried switching the cables just in case one of them does not support audio, right?

In your audio settings (standard workstation/gnome?), do you

• see audio controllers but none for HDMI, or
  • see an audio controller for HDMI which says “unplugged”, or
  • see an audio controller for HDMI which says “plugged in”?

You should not need an extra driver to output audio over HDMI. But you need your audio controller to be wired to the HDMI audio output, the output to recognize the “receiving end” (“plugged in”) and the correct output device (sink) to be selected for the stream you are playing.

HDMI does not have wires for audio all data is sent as data, both image and audio data.

Not true for the majority of newer GPUs. Most have the audio function built-in and one simply needs to select that device as the sound output. Every linux system I have with hdmi output has the hdmi available as the sound output device to be selected. Both my laptop (2019) and my desktops with GPUs from 2016.

The system should see the hdmi audio as a sound sink automatically.

1 Like

Sure, that is why I asked that specifically, among other possible causes. We don’t know what hardware the OP has.

How about you and @barryascott suggest something actually helpful to the OP instead?

OK!!!

Simply select the hdmi output for audio on the pc

Is that not strongly inferred in this part?

You also could make a helpful instructional comment instead of denigrating others posts.

When @stefan74 has a chance to respond we may know if he attempted the suggested fixes or not, as well as any results seen.

You should provide enough detail to allow others to reproduce the problem. For starters, post the output of inxi -Fzx.

I have a similar setup. There were some issues getting sound on to the desired output that went away with recent updates. You should make sure you have installed all the Fedora updates, a) because the issue may go away, and b) anyone attempting to reproduce the issue will be able to use the same updates.