Is Fedora 36 Silverblue suitable for older machines(notebooks)?

When Fedora 36 Workstation runs on an older notebook very well, does Fedora 36 Silverblue the same? I can’t find any System-requirements in the Fedora Silverblue Docs. Please tell me something about your practical experience with Fedora Silverblue.

Likely as suitable as regular Fedora is since it’s mostly the same bits, just packaged a little differently. I ran Kinoite for a while on a quite old and very underpowered machine.

4 Likes

Thanky you. I will try it and I will see what happens, the chances are not bad for running it well. :grinning:

I just recently installed Fedora 36 Silverblue on a 9 years old laptop - Samsung Series 5 NP530U3C with i5-3317U and 8GB RAM. Since it is a U series CPU, the performance is comparable to 1st gen i5-580M.

My main reason for choosing this os was that sometimes I might not use the laptop for several days or weeks and I want to be sure that the updates are safe and that I do not need to spend half an our just updating old packages.

My experience? Everything is fine. But the updates defintely take a few minutes. It is not the end of the world though. It is just a bit annoying if you need to quickly lay over a package like htop and the laptop sends you to take a break.

But if you do not need to install new packages from the main repos often it is fine.

1 Like

Thank you for reporting your experiences with Silverblue. Are all kind of packages installable like under Fedora Workstation?. What’s about Flatpack (performance etc.)?

:grinning: