Invitation for Fedora Linux to apply as a Digital Public Good

Hi, this is a follow-up to Fedora-Council/tickets#354.

I wanted to raise this ticket for wider awareness. We discussed it today in the Council meeting.

In summary, the Fedora Project is invited to submit a nomination for Fedora Linux to be recognized by the United Nations as a Digital Public Good. I believe that Fedora Linux meets the criteria to be recognized as a Digital Public Good. You can read more about digital public goods on the Wikipedia page, but they are summarized below:

“We define digital public goods as open source software, open data, open AI models, open standards and open content that adhere to privacy and other applicable best practices, do no harm and are of high relevance for attainment of the UN’s 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).”

I believe Fedora Linux supports Goal 9 of the UN’s SDGs:

“Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.”

The context of what “infrastructure” means in a 21st century context is changing. It’s not just cars, trains, and planes; it is also fiber lines, bits and bytes. I believe Fedora Linux being recognized as a digital public good is an important step to recognize the role that Fedora Linux plays, in its many forms, as a platform for Open Source innovation.

The rest of the details are in the ticket. It would be great to get thoughts and feedback from more folks on this discussion too!

2 Likes

It sounds like a great way to promote Fedora Linux. Assuming there is no cost, I am for it. :slightly_smiling_face: