Installing manually builded kernel in system with grub2

Hi folks,
I make kernel bisect by this manual
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/kernel/troubleshooting/#
and then build by this manual
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/kernel/build-custom-kernel/

But manually builded kernel not want added to grub2 menu.

When I execute command:
# make install
I see out:

sh ./arch/x86/boot/install.sh 5.2.0-rc1-step1-060358de993f+ arch/x86/boot/bzImage \
	System.map "/boot"
Cannot find LILO.

Hmm # dnf install grubby solved my issue.
Very strange that this package was removed.

# cat /var/log/dnf.log | grep grubby
2019-06-11T16:10:05Z DDEBUG Command: dnf install grubby 
2019-06-11T16:10:05Z DDEBUG Extra commands: ['install', 'grubby']
2019-06-11T16:10:11Z DEBUG ---> Package grubby.x86_64 8.40-31.fc31 will be installed
 grubby                                                  x86_64                                                  8.40-31.fc31                                                  rawhide                                                   37 k
  grubby-8.40-31.fc31.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
2019-06-11T16:10:14Z DDEBUG /var/cache/dnf/rawhide-2d95c80a1fa0a67d/packages/grubby-8.40-31.fc31.x86_64.rpm removed

Grubby is no longer used in F30, with the adoption of the boot loader specification (which puts each kernel’s boot entry into a separate file, rather than munging /boot/grub2/grub.cfg).

You can see the process used to install kernel packages by examining the RPM scripts for the kernel-core package:

$ rpm -q --scripts kernel-core-`uname -r`
postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):

if [ `uname -i` == "x86_64" -o `uname -i` == "i386" ] &&
   [ -f /etc/sysconfig/kernel ]; then
  /bin/sed -r -i -e 's/^DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-smp$/DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel/' /etc/sysconfig/kernel || exit $?
fi
preuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/bin/kernel-install remove 5.1.7-300.fc30.x86_64 /lib/modules/5.1.7-300.fc30.x86_64/vmlinuz || exit $?
posttrans scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/bin/kernel-install add 5.1.7-300.fc30.x86_64 /lib/modules/5.1.7-300.fc30.x86_64/vmlinuz || exit $?

So to install a kernel the “official” way, you’d want to run

/bin/kernel-install add $kernel_release $path_to_kernel

Uhhh, so Fedora Magazine had said that grubby was the preferred way to edit kernel params with BLS, it would be really great to know if that’s actually incorrect because I’ve told several people on the Fedora Discord this…

Yeah, sorry, my mistake. For editing entries, grubby is still probably the way to go, especially since it supports things like grubby --update-kernel=ALL ..., to edit multiple entries at once.

What I should’ve said was, grubby is no longer used to install kernel RPMs in F30 (which is why it isn’t even installed by default).

For installing kernels, personally I always use whatever commands the official RPMs use, for maximum compatibility. But grubby is definitely still useful in F30, don’t listen if any idiot tries to tell you different.

Ah thanks, I was confused a bit.