How to tip regarding Waveform 11 install on Fedora 33, and question regarding find in the process

Unfortunately, there isn’t any “how to” section that I could find in this forum, nor a “audio production” section, so this tip will probably get lost, but it really is an important tip for anyone using a DAW, so I will hope that this somehow gets marked as important or preserved in some other fashion:

Most commercial DAW’s, of which there are a few produced with a Linux version, use Ubuntu as their baseline. If they provide a Linux install, it is as a .deb package, which isn’t exactly helpful for anyone using Fedora. Furthermore, as I couldn’t get an alien converted from .deb to .rpm file to work, a longer route is needed.

I can confirm that this works with Waveform 11 and 11.5 on Fedora 33.

1. Download the Waveform .deb file from https://www.tracktion.com/
  2. Installation process:
    $ ar xv waveform_64bit_vX.X.X.deb
    $ sudo tar xvf data.tar.xz -C /
    $ sudo dnf install libatomic
  3. The same will need to be done to a file called “tracktion-download-manager”, replacing “waveform_64bit_vX.X.X.deb” with “tracktion-download-manager”.
    Anything that the “tracktion-download-manager” downloads needs to be manually installed anyway, so there is no issue there.
  4. For upgrading to a newer version, run the following to delete the old version:
    $ sudo rm -f /usr/bin/Waveform11 /usr/share/applications/waveform11.desktop /usr/share/doc/waveform11/* /usr/share/doc/waveform11 /usr/share/mime/packages/waveform11.xml /usr/share/pixmaps/waveform11.png
  5. The same will probably need to be done at some point for “tracktion-download-manager”, but I can’t imagine that it will be upgraded as often.

I have received a lot of help from farlukar at the Tracktion Software Forum - KVRAudio In this context, it was also mentioned:

Installing like this should work with any .deb package: just extract the data part to the root of your file system. You can make a list of files to uninstall if you extract the data in a temp directory and then:
find . -type f

So, here is my question:
Assuming that I extract the data to tmp, what does the command “find . -type f” command actually do?

1 Like

Thanks for your tutorial !

It is to find files in general.

For more specific search patterns here my cheatcheet entry for find:

# To find specific file type with size and total file size.
find ~/ -type f -name '*.iso' -exec du -ch {} +

# To find files by case-insensitive extension (ex: .jpg, .JPG, .jpG):
find . -iname "*.jpg"

# To find directories:
find . -type d

# To find files:
find . -type f

# To find files by octal permission:
find . -type f -perm 777

# To find files with setuid bit set:
find . -xdev \( -perm -4000 \) -type f -print0 | xargs -0 ls -l

# To find files with extension '.txt' and remove them:
find ./path/ -name '*.txt' -exec rm '{}' \;

# To find files with extension '.txt' and look for a string into them:
find ./path/ -name '*.txt' | xargs grep 'string'

# To find files with size bigger than 5 Mb and sort them by size:
find . -size +5M -type f -print0 | xargs -0 ls -Ssh | sort -z

# To find files bigger thank 2 MB and list them:
find . -type f -size +20000k -exec ls -lh {} \; | awk '{ print $9 ": " $5 }'

# To find files modified more than 7 days ago and list file information
find . -type f -mtime +7d -ls

# To find symlinks owned by a user and list file information
find . -type l --user=username -ls

# To search for and delete empty directories
find . -type d -empty -exec rmdir {} \;

# To search for directories named build at a max depth of 2 directories
find . -maxdepth 2 -name build -type d

# To search all files who are not in .git directory
find . ! -iwholename '*.git*' -type f

# Find all files that have the same node (hard link) as MY_FILE_HERE
find . -type f -samefile MY_FILE_HERE 2>/dev/null

If someone wants to install cheatcheet for terminal, i made a new one and named it hint … I think to see something on a note has nothing to do with cheeting :grin:

1 Like