How to rename or migrate a toolbox to Fedora 32?

Hi there,

I’ve successfully migrate from Silverblue 31 to 32. This version is great, thank you !

The only small issue I would like to get a solution is how to migrate my old toolbox.

Indeed, when I try to enter it point to the old one, see below message:

toolbox: container fedora-toolbox-32 not found
Entering container fedora-toolbox-31 instead.
Use the 'create' command to create a different toolbox.
Try 'toolbox --help' for more information.

Thank you in advance for your help

There is no real way to migrate between different toolbox image versions.

What i did:

1. Write a small bash script to add rpmfusion repos and install all the tools i use
  2. Create a new toolbox with whatever release version and run the script

This way i can always easily create new toolboxes with the packages i use. The config files etc. should be the same since the default behavior of toolbox is to mount the home directory as your home inside every container.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply but I don’t use rpmfusion, only official packages, so I’m not sure to understand your workaround. Anyway based on your idea I think I may use the history | grep dnf command to check the packages I’ve already installed in my previous toolbox and run it again on the new one.

1 Like

Oh, that was just an example.
I simply meant that i wrote a small script to always get a new toolbox to the state i want it to. In my case that means adding rpmfusion and installing some packages. For you that could only mean installing some packages.

I’m using different toolbox for different usages (and I rather use rpm-ostree layering to get the core tools to the main distribution in general). Is there a way to get the list of packages I added manually ? There are quite many dev dependencies that I don’t know beforehand and take quite a bit of time to find.

If you want to upgrade your existing toolbox to Fedora 32, you could try the first three steps from this article: Upgrading Fedora 31 to Fedora 32 - Fedora Magazine

I have tried that and it worked fine.

As for renaming, I am not sure podman has a rename command.

1 Like

Thank for your answer very useful to upgrade my toobox but my problem is not completely solved as my toolbox name is still not changed after the 3 steps:

toolbox: container fedora-toolbox-32 not found
Entering container fedora-toolbox-31 instead.
Use the 'create' command to create a different toolbox.
Try 'toolbox --help' for more information.
1 Like

Yep, the upgrade does not rename the container, hence my last sentence:

Yes you are right podman doesn’t support renaming of pod yet so I consider this issue not a Fedora issue and mark it as solved.

Thanks again.

1 Like

i know this is an old one. i had the same situation today, but you can now rename it like this

podman rename fedora-toolbox-36 fedora-toolbox-37