I am new to Fedora, I was using a different distro before. It is nearly impossible for me to use my trackpad without this libinput fork:
This fork has 3-finger-drag support, and I was using this without any issue on my previous distro. I built it quite easily, with no errors. (My previous distro was Manjaro)
Now, on Fedora, when I run the command: “ninja -C builddir/” I am getting the following output:
[misket@onair libinput]$ ninja -C builddir/
ninja: Entering directory `builddir/'
[20/73] Compiling C object libinput-debug-gui.p/tools_libinput-debug-gui.c.o
cc -Ilibinput-debug-gui.p -I. -I.. -I../src -I../include -I/usr/include/gtk-4.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/sysprof-4 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/libmount -I/usr/include/blkid -I/usr/include/fribidi -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/graphene-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/graphene-1.0/include -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0 -I/usr/include/libevdev-1.0 -I/usr/include/libwacom-1.0 -I/usr/include/gudev-1.0 -fdiagnostics-color=always -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -Winvalid-pch -Wextra -std=gnu99 -O0 -g -Wno-unused-parameter -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef -Wlogical-op -Wpointer-arith -Wuninitialized -Winit-self -Wstrict-prototypes -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wredundant-decls -Wincompatible-pointer-types -Wformat=2 -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wmissing-declarations -fvisibility=hidden -pthread -mfpmath=sse -msse -msse2 -MD -MQ libinput-debug-gui.p/tools_libinput-debug-gui.c.o -MF libinput-debug-gui.p/tools_libinput-debug-gui.c.o.d -o libinput-debug-gui.p/tools_libinput-debug-gui.c.o -c ../tools/libinput-debug-gui.c
../tools/libinput-debug-gui.c:53:18: fatal error: pointer-constraints-unstable-v1-client-protocol.h: No such file or directory
53 | #include "pointer-constraints-unstable-v1-client-protocol.h"
[25/73] Compiling C object libinput-test-suite.p/test_litest-device-wacom-bamboo-2fg-finger.c.o
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
I am getting the same error while building the main branch of libinput.
Did you install the build dependencies?
You can also try building without the debug GUI.
The documentation also notes that there is a COPR repo for this package as well:
I did install the build dependencies. It was giving me the error nevertheless.
So I tried the option to build without debug gui, it said invalid option. After that I tried with
ninja -C builddir/ -k 2
It finished the job, then I installed it. However after I reboot my machine, GDM didn’t start at all. I am greeted with “Oh no! Something has gone wrong!” screen.
So I switched to TTY and reinstalled libinput with dnf.
So the repo version of libinput is 1.20, the 3-finger-drag fork is 1.19. Problem might be because of this. But as I said, I was using this libinput fork on Manjaro without any issue on Gnome-Wayland.
So my issue persists.
So, an update!
I can install and use the fork.
Everything works after I login to my Gnome-session.
This is where the problem is. GDM gives the famous “Oh no! Something has gone wrong!” screen. I can switch to TTY and start the session with
dbus-run-session -- gnome-shell --display-server --wayland
and once I do that, I can happily use my three-finger-drag gesture.
What might be causing the issue with GDM?
Issue is not solved yet.
Looking for help.
All I can see in the logs when I try it is this:
org.gnome.Shell.desktop: /usr/bin/gnome-shell: error while loading shared libraries: libinput.so.10: failed to map segment from shared object
Maybe open a bug report with this fork maintainer?
It is not just about this fork.
When build libinput/libinput-git package using meson & ninja, I am having a similar problem.
I can install it. But when I reboot my machine, GDM shows the white screen with “Oh no! Something has gone wrong!”
As I said, I can start session manually and use my machine with the new driver, but this also has several problems (like keychain, some programs are acting strange, etc.)
As I said, the problem is not just about this fork. I am having similar issue when I build the main libinput git version. Plus, I was using this fork with no problem at all on Manjaro.
I will give this topic 3-4 more days. If my problem persists, I will probably switch to an Arch based distro again. But I actually want to stay with Fedora.
Update: I switched to Arch. Built the package with no issue. Everything is working.
I don’t know what was causing the issue while using Fedora. It was something about GDM. GDM was quite vulnerable on Fedora, don’t know why.
I wasn’t able to customize the login manager with the gdm-settings GUI tool. Any change was breaking the GDM. Now, on Arch, I can customize GDM with this tool.
Anyway, when the issue is solved, I can go back using Fedora. It was handling everything else perfectly fine. But not this one. And this was crucial to me.
Topic can be closed.