GTK dialogs, move buttons from header

I’m new to KDE, coming from XFCE. I’m trying to move the dialog buttons in GTK apps (eg Firefox) from the header back down to the bottom. I was never able to get used to the top placement. Here is what I am seeing:

When I was using XFCE previously, I used the xfconf utility to set Gtk/DialogsUseHeader to false (DialogsUseHeader documentation). This has the effect I am wanting.

Of course, xfconf is not available on KDE. From what I can tell, the only way to change such settings is by editing ~/.config/xsettingsd/xsettingsd.conf. I added this line to the bottom of that file:

Gtk/DialogsUseHeader 0

Then I ran:

systemctl --user restart xsettingsd.service

However, I don’t see the change taking effect. I’ve also tried logging out and in, and rebooting. So my question is:

• How can I change the xsettings and have them take effect.
  • Or if xsettings is not the right way to do this, how can I set DialogsUseHeader to false?

Thanks!

The best solution is to use portals

about:config in firefox.

set widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker to 1

1 Like

I ended up going the portal route. I did it through environmental variables instead. I created ~/.config/environment.d/gtk_portal.conf and put GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 in it.

1 Like

This is for sure the cleanest solution and has a good side effect.

You can mark your or my answer as solution :smiley:

That is unnecessary and won’t have any effect. GTK automatically uses portals when inside the flatpak sandbox.

Okay it may have been apps actively not respecting that then.