Gstreamer plugins update error

Fedora 39 is awesome and I’m enjoying of using it over 2 months now without any bigger issue.

Today I got “Sorry, something went wrong” error when Gnome Software tries to update my system and I can’t find solution myself.

Error running transaction: file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstdvbsuboverlay.so from install of gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-1.22.8-2.fc39.x86_64 conflicts with file from package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld-1:1.22.7-1.fc39.x86_64
file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstsiren.so from install of gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-1.22.8-2.fc39.x86_64 conflicts with file from package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld-1:1.22.7-1.fc39.x86_64
file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstdtsdec.so from install of gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras-1.22.8-2.fc39.x86_64 conflicts with file from package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld-1:1.22.7-1.fc39.x86_64

I tried also update with terminal with dnf upgrade command but with no luck, I got the same error.

Is it something wrong in my system or is it faulty update? What is the solution, I didn’t find it myself.

What’s happening is that an update to gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free and (-extras) in Fedora has enabled several plugins that were previously disabled, presumably due to a change in their legal status. Some of those were already packaged in RPM Fusion’s gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld. RPM Fusion needs to disable those now.

As a workaround, you can uninstall the latter package. You probably don’t really need anything in there anyway. Most codec support comes via gstreamer1-plugin-libav, backed by ffmpeg.

https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6813

The simplest way would probably be to run sudo dnf upgrade gstreamer-plugins-bad-freeworld --allowerasing and it should them uninstall the conflicting packages. As Chris said the best fix would be for rpmfusion to fix the conflicts. This is part of fedora trying to improve multimedia support within the fedora distro where previously they were mostly dependent upon the 3rd party repos to support almost all multimedia codecs.

Thank You for the quick replies! This my first post in Fedora forum and I will agree - Fedora community is very friendly and helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

Unfortunately this solution won’t work:

sudo dnf upgrade gstreamer-plugins-bad-free --allowerasing
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity

This system is not registered with an entitlement server. You can use subscription-manager to register.

Last metadata expiration check: 0:02:20 ago on L 23 dets  2023 11:29:43.
No match for argument: gstreamer-plugins-bad-free
Error: No packages marked for upgrade.

I removed the package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworldfrom rpmfusion repository with Yum Extender and problem was solved. This was only gstreamer plugin package from rpmfusion in my system. Updated versions are from updates repository.

Thanks for help!

Where should I report to disable the gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld package from rpmfusion repository?

I tried to remove the offending rpm but dnf also wants to remove several items of installed software with it, as well as quite a number of python files used by other programs! Nothing here so far posted works. Any other suggestions?

Strange because in my system this package did not have any dependencies. Are You sure You are trying to remove gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld package?

$ dnf rq --whatrequires gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld
mate-applet-streamer-0:0.4.1-7.fc39.x86_64
pithos-0:1.6.0-2.fc39.noarch

One of those, I guess? If so, you’re stuck until RPM Fusion fixes this if you don’t want to remove them. Pithos is also available on Flathub, FWIW.

If not, please share what the dependent packages are.

I had to remove both gstreamer1-plugins-ugly and gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld from @rpmfusion-free-updates repo for the system update to succeed normally.

So, sudo dnf remove gstreamer1-plugins-ugly gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld and then sudo dnf update --refresh worked fine.

6 Likes

Thanks, this is what solved it for me.

1 Like

Solved for me as well. Thanks

1 Like