This is the error I got after running the follow command

sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade
sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=38

Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Error: Transaction test error:
file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstamrnb.so conflicts between attempted installs of gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1:1.22.0-1.fc38.x86_64 and gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free-1.22.1-2.fc38.x86_64
file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstamrwbdec.so conflicts between attempted installs of gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1:1.22.0-1.fc38.x86_64 and gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free-1.22.1-2.fc38.x86_64

gstreamer1-plugins-ugly is installed from rpmfusion and gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free is installed from fedora.
There is likely a conflict (especially with the version mismatch shown), but that can easily be resolved by dnf remove gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free and if necessary follow it with dnf install gstreamer1-plugins-ugly

The fedora version is stripped of codecs, library files, etc that contain restricted data/software though a lot of the files retain the same names so conflicts do occur.

5 Likes

fixed,

Thank you!

Hi,
I am also facing the exact same issue. I have tried the steps mentioned above, but it did not work for me.

I had to do this dnf remove gstreamer-plugins-ugly and I did not install it again. That made the upgrade work for me

The package rpmfusion-free-obsolete-packages is not required and probably should be removed. Then the other package should install properly

This is certainly your choice. The gsteamer1-plugins-ugly from rpmfusion has more av codecs than the provided gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free package from fedora

1 Like

Oh, I installed them again after the upgrade

This fix doesn’t work for me either. dnf says that gstreamer-plugins-ugly-free and gstreamer-plugins-free do not exist:

This forum is not image friendly.
The image cannot be searched, cannot have text copied and pasted, cannot be read by a screen reader, and sometimes is difficult to read even for those with good eyesight.

It is always recommended that the user copy & paste text from their screen using the Preformatted text </> tags from the above toolbar so it appears exactly as seen on the screen and avoid using images as much as possible.

With that said, in the image above dnf has performed as designed. It tells the user that the named package is not installed and cannot be removed.

However, both package names used are invalid.
That should have been gstreamer1-plugins-ugly and gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free

3 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the tip about the images.

Using gstreamer1-plugins-ugly and gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free also does not work:

➜  ~ sudo dnf remove gstreamer1-plugins-ugly
[sudo] password for benwibking: 
No match for argument: gstreamer1-plugins-ugly
No packages marked for removal.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
➜  ~ sudo dnf remove gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free
No match for argument: gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free
No packages marked for removal.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

Will dnf figure out what to do if you add --best --allowerasing?

1 Like

@glb I got the same error with --best --allowerasing as well. I have removed all the packages that I installed from rpmfusion except Nvidia drivers. Error is still there.

file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstamrnb.so conflicts between attempted installs of gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1:1.22.0-1.fc38.x86_64 and gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free-1.22.1-2.fc38.x86_64

file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstamrwbdec.so conflicts between attempted installs of gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1:1.22.0-1.fc38.x86_64 and gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free-1.22.1-2.fc38.x86_64

It seems to be picking up two versions of the same package and trying to install them both at the same time. I don’t know why it would do that though. Can you temporarily disable the rpmfussion repositories?

One way to do so would be to edit all the rpmfussion files listed by this command:

grep enabled=1 /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion*

And change the enabled=1 lines to enabled=0. Then retry your upgrade. Hopefully it won’t find multiple versions of the same package with those repos disabled.

Edit: With those repos disabled, it will also skip updating the nvidia driver on upgrade. Consequently, the new kernel may not work. You should, however, still be able to boot with your previous kernel which will still have the previous version of the nvidia driver. You may need to pin the old kernel so it will continue to use that one until a compatible nvidia driver is available from rpmfussion.

you are right, I forgot about the 1 because I ended up copying the name minus the version from the error I received and removed that.

Still same issue. Removed rpm-free repo as well.

Edit: Actually error has updated to

file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstamrnb.so from install of gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free-1.22.1-2.fc38.x86_64 conflicts with file from package gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64
  file /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstamrwbdec.so from install of gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free-1.22.1-2.fc38.x86_64 conflicts with file from package gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64

Edit 2: This error helped. dnf remove gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free worked, and I am able to complete the update.
But it is a mystery to me why dnf remove gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free was returning no package found when rpmfusion repo was enabled. Once rpmfusion repo was removed, this succesfully removed the package.

that is a (semi)permanent change.
It can easily be done as a temporary change for the current command only by adding the option--disablerepo <reponame>,<reponame> to the dnf command for disabling one or more repos at the same time and does not require altering the repo file.

I’m still getting this kind off error but now about libtiff:

The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing ‘dnf clean packages’.
file /usr/include/tiffconf.h conflicts between attempted installs of libtiff-devel-4.4.0-5.fc38.i686 and libtiff-devel-4.4.0-5.fc38.x86_64

sudo rpm --nodeps -e libtiff-devel.i686
sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
1 Like

Please paste text bracketed with triple back-quotes. Images are often hard to read on some devices and are not searchable. The solution includes a little “test” that ensures you were paying attention rather than blindly pasting something from the internet (which is never a good idea):

Hint: find the missing letters in:

1 Like

actully, simply remove the pkg (one, or both) will not work (at least for me).

I first removed the gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free pkg:

❯ sudo dnf remove gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================================================================
 Package                                 Architecture      Version                     Repository                          Size
================================================================================================================================
Removing:
 gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free            x86_64            1.20.5-1.fc37               @updates                           427 k
Removing dependent packages:
 gstreamer1-plugins-ugly                 x86_64            1:1.20.5-1.fc37             @rpmfusion-free-updates            661 k
 totem                                   x86_64            1:43.0-1.fc37               @anaconda                          6.1 M
Removing unused dependencies:
 dleyna-server                           x86_64            0.6.0-14.fc37               @anaconda                          229 k
 gom                                     x86_64            0.4-9.fc37                  @anaconda                          188 k
 grilo-plugins                           x86_64            0.3.15-1.fc37               @anaconda                          2.6 M
 liba52                                  x86_64            0.7.4-43.fc37               @anaconda                           86 k
 libmpeg2                                x86_64            0.5.1-25.fc37               @anaconda                          180 k
 totem-video-thumbnailer                 x86_64            1:43.0-1.fc37               @anaconda                           63 k

Transaction Summary
Remove  9 Packages

Freed space: 10 M
Is this ok [y/N]: 

but stilll got the same error:

using the exclude tricks did works:

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=38 -x gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1 -x gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free
1 Like