Hi Fedora community,
I’ve recently changed from Manjaro to Fedora and can’t seem to get the grub2 boot menu to display at native 4k resolution. It looks like 1024x768x32. I was able to theme Manjaro and change the resolution of the Grub menu, but I do believe it wasn’t running on UEFI, unsure really.
I’ve already tried a number of things and am not sure what to do next or if I just have to accept this. At the end, it is only aesthetics.
- ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING with latest firmware
- AMD Radeon RX6700 XT
- Latest Fedora 35
- Fastboot disabled
- CSM Boot Disabled
- Secure boot set to Other OS
- Boot Logo set to auto
GRUB_TIMEOUT="5" GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)" GRUB_DEFAULT="saved" GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU="true" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet video=efifb:mode=0,efifb:nobgrt fbcon=nodefer " GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true" GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG="true" GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
What I tried so far:
- I’ve read GRUB 2 - Fedora Project Wiki and tried setting
GRUB_GFXMODEto various settings
- I’ve read a thread in this forum and added the linux settings video=efifb:mode=0 - which appears to work looking at
dmesg [ 0.793565] efifb: mode is 3840x2160x32, linelength=15360, pages=1
- I’ve toggled the UEFI settings mentioned above
- I’ve tried looking up the videomode in grub shell but both
videoinfoerror out with
error: ..../grub-core/script/function.c:119:can't find command
- I also ran
hwinfo --framebuffer --log hwinfo.logbut am unable to find any reference to video modes (I grepped for mode, video etc.)
- I’ve asked on Reddit
- Read through this forum and found a few related threads Low resolution grub2 and tty but they had no resolution
I am a bit out of ideas. Could it be that running in UEFI mode my graphics card + Monitor via DP + mainboard just don’t support a higher resolution?
Thank you for your help! This is my first post so I hope I didn’t forget anything. Happy to answer any questions!