Flatpak applications crashing after update to fedora 39

Problem description

When trying to launch flatpak apps they are crashing (not uniformly not always the same error, but all errors are similar). f. e.

1.When I try to launch com.github.IsmaelMartinez.teams_for_linux I get (collapsed same logs):

[plukasiewicz@fedora ~]$ flatpak run com.github.IsmaelMartinez.teams_for_linux
[2:1214/192337.341993:ERROR:bus.cc(407)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[…]
LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
xdg-settings
[2:1214/192337.933321:ERROR:bus.cc(407)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[ERROR] net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
[45:1214/192342.208467:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(260)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed for 1 times!
[2:1214/192342.248946:ERROR:bus.cc(407)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[…]

After which application crashes

2.When I try to launch io.github.mimbrero.WhatsAppDesktop I get:

[plukasiewicz@fedora ~]$ flatpak run io.github.mimbrero.WhatsAppDesktop
[3:1214/191755.057532:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[3:1214/191755.057589:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[41:1214/191813.423422:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(260)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed for 1 times!
[41:1214/192017.347066:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(260)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed for 2 times!

After which application seems to be working just fine??

When I try to launch io.github.mimbrero.WhatsAppDesktop I get:

[plukasiewicz@fedora ~]$ flatpak run io.github.mimbrero.WhatsAppDesktop
[3:1214/191755.057532:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[3:1214/191755.057589:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[41:1214/191813.423422:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(260)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed for 1 times!
[41:1214/192017.347066:ERROR:gl_surface_presentation_helper.cc(260)] GetVSyncParametersIfAvailable() failed for 2 times!

After which application seems to be working just fine??

3. When I try to run com.valvesoftware.Steam

[…]
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 94 milliseconds to initialize
Steam Runtime Launch Service: starting steam-runtime-launcher-service
Steam Runtime Launch Service: steam-runtime-launcher-service is running pid 176
steam-runtime-launcher-service[176]: E: Unable to acquire bus name “com.steampowered.PressureVessel.LaunchAlongsideSteam”
Steam Runtime Launch Service: steam-runtime-launcher-service pid 176 exited
Steam Runtime Launch Service: steam-runtime-launcher-service is running pid 280
steam-runtime-launcher-service[280]: E: Unable to acquire bus name “com.steampowered.PressureVessel.LaunchAlongsideSteam”
Steam Runtime Launch Service: steam-runtime-launcher-service pid 280 exited
Steam Runtime Launch Service: steam-runtime-launcher-service is running pid 312
steam-runtime-launcher-service[312]: E: Unable to acquire bus name “com.steampowered.PressureVessel.LaunchAlongsideSteam”
Steam Runtime Launch Service: steam-runtime-launcher-service pid 312 exited
Steam Runtime Launch Service: steam-runtime-launcher-service keeps crashing on startup, disabling

After which application crashes

What I tried to resolve the issue

1. I checked if flatpak nvidia graphical library matches version with system one (nvidia-smi, flatpa list)
  2. I tried both reinstalling affected packages and flatpak repair
  3. I tried adding flags --disable-gpu-sandbox and other similar flags (mainly on teams app) meant to disable sandboxing
  4. I tried adding --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland

Any ideas about what might be the issue?

The system bus is only made available when a flatpak’s permissions warrant it. Neither of those first two apps have any --system-talk-name permissions in their manifests, so they don’t get a system bus socket. That’s probably not fatal.

Those errors from Steam shouldn’t be fatal either. They should be resolved once this PR hits stable, but I don’t think that’s why Steam isn’t starting.

Can you share the last bits of output before the crashes? (if there’s anything else)

Also, have you tried flatpak update?

Yes I’ve tried flatpak update, and there is nothing more (for steam provided output is the last part of output). In case of steam there is also logging directory but it has 10+ files and I wasnt able to find relevant logs. I can give the whole output for steam application (if you think it might help)

Whole logs for steam: Steam logs - Pastebin.com

As I said before, I don’t think it’ll help, but you could try:

flatpak run --own-name=com.steampowered.\* com.valvesoftware.Steam

Can you confirm that there are no Steam instances running in the background (flatpak ps)?

Also, for thoroughness, any output from these four commands:

flatpak override --show 
flatpak override --show --user
flatpak override --show com.valvesoftware.Steam
flatpak override --show --user com.valvesoftware.Steam

Same result with this additional flag, upon running there is steam instance running visible with flatpak ps but both before the run and after the crash there is none

Commands do not show anything (no output for each of the four)

Upon more reading I stumbled upon suggestion that fixed my issue:

• Install Flatseal: Flatseal | Flathub
  • Add permissions to run in the background and also GPU-accelaration for Steam

After that everything seems to be working as before (at least for now)

I should have thought of that.

Would you mind confirming whether GPU Acceleration actually makes a difference? That shouldn’t be necessary with ‘All Devices’ enabled.

Yes I can confirm that GPU Accelaration makes no difference