Flatpack Issue: Input Buffer Too Short

Morning, all… Hoping for a little help.

For the past couple of days, I’ve been getting this error when running flatpak update:

Error: While pulling runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/master from remote gnome-nightly: Input buffer too small

Any ideas about how to rectify this? I searched through flatpak’s github issues section and couldn’t find anything…

I appreciate the support!

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for the reply, but the suggested workaround for workstation fails complaining about conflicting requests. I’m a bit confused how the libostree issue affects non-silverblue installs; any insight onto that one?

1 Like

Can’t help you like that. Post the actual command you used and all output/error messages.

Flatpak uses OSTree. The issue is not specific to Silverblue or any distro.

Moring. You can trysudo dnf downgrade ostree-libs && flatpak update or sudo flatpak update
Flatpak uses the libostree shared library (ostree-libs on Fedora).

4 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions… I realized after re-reading the output that I had gnome-nightly there, a leftover from a past package; a simple flatpak remote-delete gnome-nightly and flatpak update seems to have fixed the issue.

I did not need to downgrade ostree-libs, interestingly enough.

Just in case other people end up in this topic. I think this issue is not yet fixed. See here for more info: Flathub Input buffer too small

I am facing the issue too, however deleting gnome nightly remote did not fix it. Will follow Jan’s advice. Thanks

Yeah, thanks Jan… I spoke too soon. Yesterday, everything resolved correctly without errors, but today the input issue remains and the proposed workaround results in errors:

Error: 
 Problem: problem with installed package ostree-2023.4-1.fc38.x86_64
  - package ostree-2023.4-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System requires libostree-1.so.1(LIBOSTREE_2023.4)(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package ostree-2023.4-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System requires ostree-libs(x86-64) = 2023.4-1.fc38, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package ostree-2023.4-1.fc38.x86_64 from updates requires libostree-1.so.1(LIBOSTREE_2023.4)(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package ostree-2023.4-1.fc38.x86_64 from updates requires ostree-libs(x86-64) = 2023.4-1.fc38, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package ostree-2023.1-2.fc38.x86_64 from fedora requires ostree-libs(x86-64) = 2023.1-2.fc38, but none of the providers can be installed
  - cannot install both ostree-libs-2023.3-3.fc38.x86_64 from @commandline and ostree-libs-2023.4-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System
  - cannot install both ostree-libs-2023.3-3.fc38.x86_64 from @commandline and ostree-libs-2023.1-2.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
  - cannot install both ostree-libs-2023.3-3.fc38.x86_64 from @commandline and ostree-libs-2023.4-1.fc38.x86_64 from updates
  - conflicting requests
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

I know I can add --allowerasing to the command, but don’t love to do that; however, I suppose it’s the only way to force this downgrading, eh?

Because you have ostree installed (most people don’t). ostree depends on ostree-libs of the same version. If you only specify a URL to a ostree-libs rpm, dnf can’t resolve where to get the corresponding ostree rpm.

So instead you can just downgrade to release repo, and dnf can find the corresponding ostree version in the repo:

sudo dnf downgrade ostree-libs

This is also mentioned multiple times in the replies to the common issue. The common issue has been updated to suggest this command instead of using a Koji URL.

4 Likes

Hmm… I wonder why I have that installed, then, because I never did it on purpose; perhaps it’s a dependency for something else.

Thanks!

I saw the same issue today, I haven’t updated (dnf or flatpak) in roughly two weeks.

Since the ostree package was mentioned on this thread, I ran sudo dnf remove ostreednf returns anaconda packages and malcontent-control ('parental controls UI`) as dependent packages.

The package is installed on my Fedora 38 VM, created two days ago in gnome-boxes (minimal changes, I only removed gnome-software, updated and changed some Gnome settings):

$ dnf list installed | grep ostree

ostree.x86_64                                        2023.1-2.fc38                       @anaconda
ostree-libs.x86_64                                   2023.1-2.fc38                       @anaconda

I was wrong about that. I mixed up some info; flatpak depends on ostree-libs… but flatpak-libs depends on ostree, and the GUI app stores depend on flatpak-libs. So Workstation users do indeed have ostree.

Regardless, the workaround in the common issue is correct now. Let’s point people there instead of here.

2 Likes