Finding the CHECKSUM Information for Fedora Media Writer

Hi.

I downloaded the Windows version of Fedora Media Writer from the following URL:

I would like to use my Windows version of the sha256sum utility on the media writer, to make sure that the writer has not been hacked or corrupted in any other manner. However, I cannot find the CHECKSUM information for the media writer.

From the URL where I downloaded the media writer, I clicked on a link labeled, “Verify your download.” That took me to the following URL:

This page contained links to the CHECKSUM information for downloads of Fedora 33, but not for the media writer. I tried clicking on the links, but I did not see any information about the media writer.

Can someone please tell me where I can find the CHECKSUM information for Fedora Media Writer? I doubt the media writer has been corrupted, but I want to be careful.

Thank you for your help.

I have not been able to find a checksum for the windows version, but will attach a freelance checksum I did after downloading the zip file for comparison.
Sorry, I cannot attach my checksum file but here is the result.

4edc6b1eda3db009005f469c08e8fdca1da7d53b910bda0d0c6cd306a8b2c848 liveusb-creator.zip

Fedora also has that tool as a package for installation as “sudo dnf install liveusb-creator” and that one will match your running OS when you install it.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

On the following webpage, I found a download for the Live USB Creator.

According to this website, the Live USB creator no longer is being maintained. Therefore, I would prefer to use the Fedora Media Writer.

In Windows, I am able to perform a CHECKSUM on the Fedora Media Writer I downloaded. The problem is that I do not know where to find the original CHECKSUM file from Fedora. Without comparison to the original CHECKSUM information, I cannot tell whether the media writer I downloaded has been corrupted.

Once again, thank you for your help.

What I posted in no way led you to that page. That is not fedora software.

The package name and install command I posted is actively included with each fedora release and has been for many years. The web page where you downloaded Fedora Media Writer points to the package I posted but attempting to install it reveals the package is actually “mediawriter”. I had not reinstalled it after my new install of F33 and forgot the fedora package name. It is the linux version of the windows package called Fedora Media Writer. The upstream on github was last updated about 20 days ago so it is actively maintained.

As I said, I also could not find a checksum for Fedora Media Writer (either the .zip or the extracted .exe file) and I posted an alternative. You will have to trust the file, or not. Unless someone else has more information than we found online.

This link could be interesting Issue #9577: Fedora Media Writer 4.1.6 released - releng - Pagure.io

I’m not an expert of signed software, windows installers, cryptography etc. But it looks like the exe file is signed with a valid certificate, so if you get a corrupted file, windows should be able to detect that it has been altered.

@alciregi and @computersavvy

I wish to thank both of you for your help. I think I might have found my own solution to my problem, but I appreciate your input.

I wanted to use Fedora Media Writer for the purpose of installing a Linux operating system from a flash drive. I now am planning to simply burn the installation image onto a blu ray disc, rather than use a flash drive. That way, I will not need to use Fedora Media Writer.

I just got my computer. I initially thought that its optical drive was not capable of burning blu ray discs, which was why I wanted to use a flash drive. (An ordinary DVD does not have enough memory for the installation image.) Looking at my optical drive again, I see that “DVD MULTI RECORDER” is printed on it. I believe that means my optical drive can read and burn any type of disc. I am planning to buy some blu ray discs, and attempt the installation.

Once again, thank you for your advice. Sorry for bothering you with this. My computer is used, and its hardware specifications were not completely clear to me when I bought it. Additionally, computers are not my area of expertise.

Oh. However, in order to create a bootable USB stick, you can use any software that is capable to create bootable USB sticks, like UNetbootin.

AHHHH
The install image is about 2 GB, the capacity of a DVD is about 4.7 GB. More than adequate to burn the image to the DVD.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.