Fedora is laggy on my desktop with 3 monitors and a nvidia card, but my laptop is perfectly fine

Dear Fedora Supporters,

I have been using Fedora on my PC with an Nvidia graphics card and three monitors, but I have been experiencing some issues with screen lag and application lag. Interestingly, when I use my laptop with the same setup, everything runs perfectly fine.

I have downloaded the newest drivers for Nvidia and updated all of my software, but the issue persists. I have also noticed that my three monitors have different Hz values, but I’m not sure if that has any effect on the issue.

For example, when i type, the words a so delayed, and also the applications are flickering, and the screens sometimes turn black. I have barely downloaded anything, except platpak, some apps, and gnome tweaks that i only use for “maximize and minimize windows”.

I’m not sure what the problem is, and I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue. Could you please suggest some steps or troubleshooting procedures I can take to identify and resolve the problem?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sincerely, Privacy Concerned!<3

Well, the first thing I would do to simplify troubleshooting: does the problem occur with one monitor? With two?

Hi there!
It happens with two of my monitors. My vertical monitor, and my flipped monitor over my main screen. But the lagging on applications it happening on every screen, but the black screen issue is mainly only occurring on these monitors (very few times on my main in the middle). I am pretty sure this is not a hardware issue (99,999%), and i don’t know what it is. I have 3 monitors in total. I don’t know if flipping the monitors make them weird (in the settings)? Overall the Os seem unstable sometimes. The issue with applications is only happening with vscode and idscord.

Can you eliminate factors by trying with just one monitor at a time?

(For what it’s worth, I also have a three-monitor setup[1], and have one of them vertical and one of them (a teleprompter I use for video calls) flipped. And I have no such problems.

1. using AMD graphics, though ↩︎

Hi,
It did not help turning off the monitors. Can it be wayland with Nvidia? A friends suggested that.

Certainly could be. I don’t really know much about Nvidia, so someone else will have to take it from here.

ok thx for helping so far!

1 Like

NVIDIA? … Nouveau drivers are perfect just looking at the screens. It seems a hardware issue, explore graphic card support in detail, motherboard compatibility, memory, … Whatever software operating system being used, hardware underneath must follow …

Nouveau drivers do not support hardware acceleration on any GPUs and do not support the newer nvidia GPUs. That driver is not perfect by any means, especially for multiple monitors.