Fedora in Fediverse

mastodon
social

Fediverse has a growing number of users, many important open source projects are there (GNOME, KDE, Ubuntu, Nextcloud, Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE…), there are quite a few Fedora contributors scattered across multiple instances.

So I’ve been thinking about running a Mastodon [1] instance for Fedora. E.g. with the fedora.social domain, just like Ubuntu has it. We can either run it on our premises or choose Mastodon as a service (masto.host). At the beginning it could be just for Fedora contributors and then we’d see if we have resources to open it up for the rest of the community. If it ends up on masto.host and self-funded, I’m able to finance the basic plan and any expansion would rely on donations.
It can also be used for official Fedora accounts. Since Google+ is shutting down it’d be good to bring a new emerging social network into the pack of those we support.
The instance would be moderated according to the Fedora Code of Conduct.

What do you think?

[1] Mastodon is the most popular service in Fediverse and it also seems to be the most mature.

Just from looking at the Wikipedia article, it seems like Hubzilla has more protocols / capabilities than Mastodon. Is there a downside to Hubzilla?

Yes, a major one: Hubzilla doesn’t support ActivityPub protocol, thus it’s not part of Fediverse. Out of those independent alternatives Fediverse (Mastodon, Pleroma, Friendica, PixelFed, Nextcloud…) has the highest number of users and traction, so I’m considering only this one.

OK, I stand corrected. Hubzilla does support ActivityPub. But I wonder why Hubzilla. It seems to be a CMS, not a social network. I’m rather interested in a social network service such as Mastodon.

It would be nice to have the fedora Mastodon instance:

• It could bring more Fedora people to Fediverse.
  • More attention about Fedora on Fediverse.
  • Now, It’s hard to find Fedora people cross the whole Fediverse.
  • Some “Fedora-release-announce” bot or “official-Fedora-account” would be nice as well. (Unfortunately, fedoracz@floss.social is one of the accounts, that I cannot follow from my Nextcloud server. But that’s a problem of the Nextcloud/social app and should be fixed.)

I really like the idea @eischmann. Would be great if we can use it for our official Fedora accounts and for Fedora contributors :clap:

Maybe this is not related to this post.
Just for fun, some time ago I created a script that grabs the posts from fedora twitter official account and from fedora planet RSS and publish them to mastodon, using this account @fastodon@botsin.space (https://botsin.space/@fastodon)
As said, this account was created just for fun, but my intention was also to have a Fedora presence on Mastodon (on the Fediverse).
I opened an issue on pagure (https://pagure.io/fedora-marketing/issue/286) in order to ask if an official account might be interesting, but without receiving any feedback until now.

OK - I have a Mastodon account but I rarely log in. Same with Twitch, although I have some coder friends that are very active there and am considering joining them. So if there’s a Fedora Fediverse it might get me to Mastodon.

I fail to see how a social network entirely for Fedora would be very useful,
and even if so, I do not believe that Mastodon would be the appropriate
software.

It’s not a social network entirely for Fedora. It’s one server of that network entirely for Fedora. People could have usernames like johndoe@fedora.social, that server and its content would have to follow the Fedora Code of Conduct, but people can connect and follow users on other servers and be followed by others as well.

I understand that, but I just don’t see how it’s useful. Specifically because
the content would have to follow the Fedora Code of Conduct, which would have
to include all content it pulled from the Fediverse, I don’t think it’d even
be possible to do it in a clean way. We already have the Fedora Discourse as
one social website thing for people.

On one hand, I could see this being a great way to both get people involved in the Fedora community as well as give a really friendly imagine, not to mention making a contribution to the fediverse world.

On the other hand, the pragmatist in me is saying there could be better uses for whatever server would be hosting this. Then again, if hosting wouldn’t be an issue, there aren’t many downsides.

Of course, it’s also important to note that people generally don’t like their Mastodon instances disappearing, so if this were done, it would have to be a very long-term commitment.

I understand the sentiments, but…comparing this to a Mastodon instance is like saying why Twitter needs to exist when we have LinkedIn. They cater to very different styles and ecosystems.

CoC enforcement would be the least of the problems; unless the server would get like 2k signups overnight, I don’t see the activity being much more than the Fedora Discord (which has like 200 registered members).

My feeling is that there are too many communications channels to monitor already - I won’t be joining another one unless I can drop out of two or three others to compensate.

You take this Mastodon instance way too seriously. It’s not a “communication channel” or so, it would just be a funny instance for people. And no, there would not be only Fedora things discussed there.

Main advantage would possibly just to have a place for Fedora “core fans” (which do not already have an account on more general purpose instances like Fosstodon – an official account of GNOME is there, e.g.) – and again, people also discuss more than FLOSS there).

The other advantage would be to have a cool instance for Fedora subprojects, which can go to one instance they like fedora@fedora.social, silverblue@fedora.social, coreos@fedora.social look quite great…
In this way, it is just a decentralized replacement for Twitter. It’s not about productive discussions like those on mailinglists or here on Discourse.
It’s what we’ve called microblogging in the past. :smiley:

So it certainly would not hurt. And no, you don’t need to watch anyone there/follow any conversations (that’s not how it works, you follow people/projects) and it is not a competition to Discourse. Also, it’s rather that I in the Fediverse can follow the account and get Fedora content directly in my timeline and don’t need to visit Discourse or so. So it’s great for staying up-to-date.

Mastodon provides excellent reporting and moderation tools. It is possible. (whatever code of conduct you follow)

You also do not join the Fedora Mastodon. You join the much greater Fediverse. It has as much to do with Fedora as it has to do with Metal e.g. That said, if you do not use/like the concept of Twitter or such microblogging-like things, you likely won’t see any value in it – and that’s fine.
The instance would likely much more for Mastodon users (that happen to be Fedora users) than for Fedora users. I guess nobody expects any Fedora user to sign-up there. (especially if you e.g. already have an account somewhere else in the Fediverse, or are just not interested) You likely won’t miss anything.

You take this Mastodon instance way too seriously. It’s not a “communication
channel” or so, it would just be a funny instance for people. And no, there
would not be only Fedora things discussed there.

If it’s not specifically for Fedora related content, what is the point? If we
are to consider this, it must be a serious suggestion, would you not agree?

Main advantage would possibly just to have a place for Fedora “core fans”
(which do not already have an account on more general purpose instances
like Fosstodon – an official account of GNOME is
there, e.g.
) – and again, people also discuss
more than FLOSS there).

The other advantage would be to have a cool instance for Fedora subprojects,
which can go to one instance they like fedora@fedora.social,
silverblue@fedora.social, coreos@fedora.social look quite great…

In this way, it is just a decentralized replacement for Twitter. It’s
not
about productive discussions like those on mailinglists or here on
Discourse. It’s what we’ve called microblogging in the past. :smiley:

Well, it’s not decentralized at all. It’s federated, requiring specific
instances to use, rather than being truly decentralized, where the service
runs on each end user machine.

Why can sub projects not create their own accounts on whatever services Fedora
currently uses, if they do not consider themselves to be in line with the rest
of Fedora?

So it certainly would not hurt. And no, you don’t need to watch anyone
there/follow any conversations
(that’s not how it works, you follow
people/projects) and it is not a competition to Discourse. Also, it’s
rather that I in the Fediverse can follow the account and get Fedora
content directly in my timeline and don’t need to visit Discourse or so. So
it’s great for staying up-to-date.

You can subscribe to receive content here by email.

Mastodon provides excellent reporting and moderation tools. It is possible.
(whatever code of conduct you follow)

This would require censorship of external content, and would really negate the
purpose of an instance specifically for Fedora.

[quote=“znmeb, post:13, topic:1168”]
I won’t be joining another one unless I can drop out of two or three others
to compensate.
[/quote]

You also do not join the Fedora Mastodon. You join the much greater
Fediverse. It has as much to do with Fedora
as it has to do with Metal e.g. That said, if you
do not use/like the concept of Twitter or such microblogging-like things,
you likely won’t see any value in it – and that’s fine. The instance would
likely much more for Mastodon users (that happen to be Fedora users)
than for Fedora users. I guess nobody expects any Fedora user to sign-up
there. (especially if you e.g. already have an account somewhere else in
the Fediverse, or are just not interested) You likely won’t miss anything.

Wait, if users would not join it, what is the purpose of such an instance? You
could just use the RSS feed from the Magazine or receive email updates from
here if you are only interested in “catching up” :slight_smile:

These huge text quotes do not really help. In essence, you still just suggest any other means like mail or RSS. But microblogging is something totally different, and I’ve tried to explain it. There is not a lot I can do anymore.

Maybe have a look at this nice video though:

I understand microblogging, I run the GNU Social instance Quitter.pw. However,
I fail to see how an instanced used as you describe would be very different
from an RSS feed for the Magazine or email subscription to this Discourse
instance. For example, I am currently responding by email.

I’m sorry if quotes are out of the ordinary on Discourse, but they are useful
to see what one is responding to.