Fedora 37 does not boot after a long overdue system update

Hi, I did a normal dnf upgrade after a long time (since f37 release) and when I reboot the system I get a “Oh no! Something has gone wrong.”. I am panicking as this is my primary system.

I noticed that 3 packages (curl, libcurl and libcurl-minimal) did not update with the error show below,

Here is the error of the dnf upgrade command. I am not sure how to upload the output of dnf history from the command line to pastebin.

I am able to switch to tty1 and login. It is just the graphical login is broken. I tried booting into an older kernel version which did not work.

How do I proceed further? Please help.

sudo dnf config-manager --disable \*-modular
sudo dnf distro-sync --refresh --allowerasing

This helped downgrade the curl and libcurl packages. However, I am unable to still do a graphical login.

That’s wrong, there is a higher release version available, check the repos:

sudo dnf config-manager --enable updates
sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
sudo dnf repolist 
sudo dnf list curl libcurl\*
1 Like

Hmm true. dnf upgrade shows those 3 packages being skipped due to broken dependencies. Could it be that the updates have not synced to the update mirror in India?

Check the installed modules:

sudo dnf module list --installed

Sorry I can only attach images.

Remove the module blocking upgrades:

sudo dnf module remove nodejs
sudo dnf upgrade --refresh

You can reinstall it later if necessary like this:

sudo dnf config-manager --enable {fedora,updates}-modular
sudo dnf module list nodejs
sudo dnf module install nodejs:STREAM

Done… I removed the offending nodejs package. Doing a dnf upgrade still skips the curl packages.

Try this way:

sudo dnf distro-sync --refresh --allowerasing --setopt \*.module_hotfixes=1
sudo dnf upgrade --refresh --setopt \*.module_hotfixes=1

dnf - libssh2 filtered out by modular filtering on RHEL 8 - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help!

I took the time to read up on Fedora Modularity (interesting way to have multiple versions of a package in a Fedora release). Having used apt-get and .deb for years, this is a very interesting concept that I have not seen before.

I am curious to know if there would be any side effects of leaving module_hotfixes enabled in the long run. Can I leave it as it is?

1 Like

I’m afraid there are certainly potential problems when module_hotfixes is used indiscriminately with the modular repos, otherwise it wouldn’t be disabled by default.