Fedora 36 Nvidia, Screen flickering

Hello, I am running Feodra 36 on a Acer machine, with an nvidia GPU.

I am running into a problem where after sometime, I start to get screen flicker.

Kernel - 5.19.15-201.fc36.x86_64

I followed this here - https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/severe-flashing-blank-lagging-screen-after-update-to-kernel-5-19/75484/6?u=reinfrog

I am not sure what to try next?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should say, this does get resolved after a reboot.

I have issues with screen flickering too.

In my case I’m sure the cause is the Nvidia driver 520.56.
My system is a Tuxedo notebook running dual boot with Fedora 36 and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. On Tumbleweed I use the driver installer script from Nvidia and on Fedora I use akmods-nvidia from the rpmfusion repository. In both cases after updating to the most recent driver version my laptop screen started flickering. The driver with the issue in Fedora is akmod-nvidia-520.56.06-1. Everything works fine if I switch back to Nvidia driver version 515.76.

Can you be more explicit please.
I assume you did nothing else but reboot?
Or did the flickering occur after the update but while still running the older module before rebooting?

Narrowing this down is important to know the cause. The driver modules are loaded at boot, but other packages may have been updated and caused issues.

In fact, my system had updated the driver but I had not rebooted. I tried running nvidia-smi but it failed due to a version mismatch between the driver loaded and running and the other nvidia software (specifically NV??) that had been updated so it no longer matched the loaded drivers. Sorry I did not write down the message, I just rebooted and the issue went away.

This is just to say that the flickering may have been related to mismatch between the kernel module in use and the other supporting software. Even the DE packages related to the nvidia drivers may have been part of the issue.

A reboot reloads everything so timing of when the flickering occurred may be important to determine the cause.

I am having the same problem with 520.56.06-1.fc36 . I am on a desktop with GTX 3070. A reboot fixes it for a short time before it comes back. The flickering happened after I updated my kernel to 5.19.16-200.fc36.x86_64 from kernel-5.19.12-200.fc36.x86_64.

Same for me on Fedora 37 Workstation KDE Spin, RTX 3080 Ti, Nvidia Driver 525.60.11, Kernel 6.0.18-300.fc37.x86_64

The flickering can vary from a barely noticeable to annoying brightness change. Changing the window focus sometimes fixes it for a short time. Booting always helps, but it will come back eventually.

1 Like