Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.fwupd: Timeout was reached

I am running an updated version of fedora version 31 and consistently get an error on update containing the message as shown in the title.

I have figured out it has something to do with a service and I have been hunting for the file org.freedesktop.fwupd, but I have been unable to find it. I checked /etc/systemd/ first but still could not find it. I also executed from \etc the command find . -name org.freedesktop.fwupd to no avail.

My regular update I do using dnf upgrade --refresh on the commandline and have had no issues doing that.

My queries are “Why does freedesktop have an update?” and “do I need this freedesktop?” or alternatively “How can I find out what is wrong?”.

4 Likes

This Bug is reporter in upstream, and it seems to have a workaround:

https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/1614
https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/1634

also in RedhatBugzilla:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1731758

Regards.,

1 Like

Thank you very much.

Turns out tpm2-abrmd was the problem. It is resolved upstream, but not in the fedora 31 dist yet. I removed it as I had no dependencies on this package. I do wonder if I should reinstall i.e. if this package has a use I cannot infer from dependencies: any know?

I marked your answer as the solution and added +1. Thanks.

1 Like

a better appoach is install it again and downgrade the package, block it for possible update as mentioned here How Can I Exclude Selected Packages When I Run Dnf Update Command until they will be fixed, as comment in 26 in redhat bugzilla:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1731758#c26

Regards.,

1 Like

Why is downgrading and blocking update a better approach than uninstalling? As far as I can see none of the other packages depend on tpm2-abrmd. Or is there some hidden way the package may be used only if it is present?

P.S. My plan was to uninstall and check for version number of the package regularly

1 Like

Well if it help this package is not depending of others because his function is related to security

tpm2-abrmd is a system daemon implementing the TPM2 access broker
             : (TAB) and Resource Manager (RM) spec from the TCG.

Now we can see a bit more about that TPM header or chip mean

A bit about tpm2.0

My MSI 970 gaming Motherboard has a TPM header but i didn’t buy a TPM module to place in the Motherboard because i have not interest about it like you can see:

[jorge@f31 ~]$ dmesg | grep -i tpm
[    1.495314] ima: No TPM chip found, activating TPM-bypass!

Anothers Motherboards is coming with the TPM module or chip included which can be active or inactive. You need check it in your BIOS model if you are curious.

And the package has the mission of check for access broker. The problem is because the package fwupd is updating firmware and there are some part where tpm2 is not working like waited with the fwupd package to update some firmware… the problem is also fwupd is linked with the gnome-software so if you downgrade the package you will need downgrade gnome-software package too. At least so was before… but it bug is coming solve in the next update of tpm2 package what will be drop in the next updates surely.

I hope it did help you understand a bit more about the error of it package.

Regards.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! I will need some time to digest this. But I do understand the choice a little better, thanks!

I keep getting the following error:

Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.fwupd: Timeout was reached

Clean install of Fedora 31.

The last time I used the following command to fix the error:

sudo dnf autoremove

Is it safe to use sudo dnf autoremove for this problem? Or is there another way to fix this error?

@mv1982 please read the solution for this thread. The problem is the specific package for tpm called tpm2-abrmd. Remove that and you should no longer have a problem.

P.S. As soon as Fedora 31 upgrades the tpm2-abrmd package the problem should be solved too.

EDIT: dnf autoremove might remove tpm2-abrmd. I usually avoid it because it removes a lot of packages some of which I want to keep.

@gbonnema Thank you.

I think I will just wait till it’s fixed automatically.

There should be a new version of tpm2-abrmd in the stable repository.

@alciregi according to the report we will need wait a bit with it, the version that solve the issue would be the 2.3.1. While in repos still we do have the 2.2.0 what i did test do some days and the issue was present.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1731758#c27

dnf info about tpm2-abrmd today:

[jorge@f31 ~]$ dnf info tpm2-abrmd
    Fedora Modular 31 - x86_64 - Updates             32 kB/s |  18 kB     00:00    
    Fedora Modular 31 - x86_64 - Updates            501 kB/s | 510 kB     00:01    
    Fedora 31 - x86_64 - Updates                     39 kB/s |  21 kB     00:00    
    Fedora 31 - x86_64 - Updates                    1.5 MB/s | 2.0 MB     00:01    
    Senaste kontroll av utgång av metadata: för 0:00:01 sedan den sön 19 jan 2020 08:58:49.
    Tillgängliga paket
    Namn         : tpm2-abrmd
    Version      : 2.2.0
    UtgĂĄva       : 4.fc31
    Arkitektur   : i686
    Storlek      : 117 k
    Källa        : tpm2-abrmd-2.2.0-4.fc31.src.rpm
    Förråd       : updates
    Sammanf.     : A system daemon implementing TPM2 Access Broker and Resource
                 : Manager
    URL          : https://github.com/tpm2-software/tpm2-abrmd
    Licens       : BSD
    Beskrivning  : tpm2-abrmd is a system daemon implementing the TPM2 access broker

Namn         : tpm2-abrmd
    Version      : 2.2.0
    UtgĂĄva       : 4.fc31
    Arkitektur   : x86_64
    Storlek      : 109 k
    Källa        : tpm2-abrmd-2.2.0-4.fc31.src.rpm
    Förråd       : updates
    Sammanf.     : A system daemon implementing TPM2 Access Broker and Resource
                 : Manager
    URL          : https://github.com/tpm2-software/tpm2-abrmd
    Licens       : BSD
    Beskrivning  : tpm2-abrmd is a system daemon implementing the TPM2 access broker

Regards.

Yep. It is still 2.2.0, but the package was updated with some backprots from 2.3.1, as far as I can understand from 1769215 – tpm2-abrmd[3026]: ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tcti-device.c:439:Tss2_Tcti_Device_Init() Failed to open device file /dev/tpm0: No such file or directory
So even with tpm2-abrmd-2.2.0-4 the issue is the same?

I did install it right now and enable +start service and version 2.2.0-4 looks working good and skipping the tpm check if you don’t have it. I will reboot now the PC to check it after reboot )so the version that i did test maybe was 2.2.0-3 my error so but one thing is sure I did check one days ago and the issue was there :wink: )

[jorge@f31 ~]$ systemctl status tpm2-abrmd
â—Ź tpm2-abrmd.service - TPM2 Access Broker and Resource Management Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/tpm2-abrmd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at Sun 2020-01-19 09:40:10 CET; 3min 5s ago

jan 19 09:39:08 f31 systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in TPM2 Access Broker and Resource Management Daemon being skipped.
jan 19 09:40:10 f31 systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in TPM2 Access Broker and Resource Management Daemon being skipped.

Edit: After reboot spamming again it is still failing so it was probably the version that i did test before too.

I’ve also got the same nasty error notification message since I upgraded my computers (a desktop and a laptop) to Fedora 31.

At every boot, I got the notification:

An important update has failed.

Detailed errors from the package manager follow:
Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.fwupd: Timeout was reached.

I finally decided to deal with that annoyance and also check if there was a security issue here ; and I landed here.

After reading all the thread, I checked my fully updated Fedora 31 installations.
What’s installed is :
Name : tpm2-abrmd
Version : 2.2.0
Release : 4.fc31
Architecture : i686
Size : 117 k
Source : tpm2-abrmd-2.2.0-4.fc31.src.rpm

Since on one of the computers the TPM chip was not activated, I uninstalled the tpm2-abrmd package.
As expected, no more error notification message at every boot! Done.

I’ll re-install the package tpm2-abrmd when it gets fixed, hopefully soon in a future Fedora update.

Oddly, IMO, this problem happened on my system for the first time, today. I update my packages multiple times per week, so why didn’t it cause me a problem in December instead of waiting until late February?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.