Email → Discourse Thread Creation

This is a test of email → Discourse thread creation. If this works, we can
publish a guide with information necessary to use Discourse as a mailing list,
greatly lowering the the barrier to entry with Discourse.

Perfect, I’ve enabled this setting after @JohnMH sent me an email, it works. So we can create aliases as requested, but in general, it works.

@JohnMH Would you like to write the guide to do this?

Perfect, I’ve enabled this setting after @JohnMH sent me an email, it works.
So we can create aliases as requested, but in general, it works.

The address that you gave me seems fine, especially as it works without a
token or anything like that. This is probably fine as it is, but if you think
you could clean it up with aliases, I’m definitely not opposed.

@JohnMH Would you like to write the guide to do this?

Definitely, I’ll create a task on the CommOps tracker to create a document
with a guide on the Discourse-side settings and email client configuration.

It would be great if there would be integration between discourse and mailing lists. We would definitely use that for Rust SIG!

Well, Discourse emails aren’t really all that clean. I’d suggest only using it for teams that are currently using the Discourse instance as their primary form of communication, or perhaps for end user support.

I would like to suggest that you think about how Discourse and mailing lists intersect in the case of the Rust SIG, because that might help @JohnMH configure the email settings.

Digests and Notifications are fairly straightforward, of course, but there might be some scenarios you have not yet considered, for example:

• if the Rust SIG has a lot of newcomers, it might be nice to have some well-curated FAQ forums on Discourse and the emails could contain some links. That could reduce the FAQ-noise on the mailing lists.
  • If there is a discussion of “best practices” then it might be good to create a topic forum where posts can be upvoted.

It’s not possible to tie Discourse to an external mailing list without many
issues, at least not without plugins.

Noteworthy Issues:

• You’d need an account just for that mailing list
  • All emails sent from the list, not directly to Discourse would be from that
    user, not the one that sent it
  • All emails would contain an unsubscribe link
  • All emails would contain a link to the thread in the GUI
  • You’d be able to change the user’s email settings or password from the
    mailing list…

@JohnMH, yes you are correct.
It’s been a few years since I was a discourse admin and they have apparently scaled back some of their email options. There is a plugin to restore some of the daily summary options

In fact, the Discourse community is a little over the top with plugins. They are certainly easy to install, but I have never written one. They do have an extensive tutorial.

A few that are likely to get people like @jwf, @bt0dotninja, @sanja excited are: