CoreOS on Proxmox

As you may know, Proxmox is a server virtualization management solution. It offers the ability to manage virtual server using KVM.
It offers cloud-init in order to automatically provision VMs. This is done by exposing a /dev/sr0 device to the VM (the third the machine UID). Once mounted, this device contains three files: one contains user definitions, and one the network configuration in yaml syntax (cloud-init, that is similar to FCC, sorry, but I’m still exploring these topics).
However, as far as I can understand, ignition/afterburn, currently support certains cloud providers, but not generic cloud-init ones. There is a way to read such cloud-init files? Has someone experience with CoreOS on Proxmox?
My point is, as on another thread related to IoT, the network configuration in case there is not a DHCP.

To my knowledge, this is the first time I see a request to support Proxmox metadata. Neither Ignition nor Afterburn have native support for that, but it can be added if the format is stable and documented somewhere.
Plus, a dedicated platform ID will have to be allocated.
There is a ticket template for such requests. Please have a look at all the additional details there.

This is probably going to be a major annoyance, as Ignition cannot fetch remote resources if it is not possible to auto-configure the network in the initramfs.

1 Like

Ok. Thank you

Platform Request: Proxmox · Issue #736 · coreos/fedora-coreos-tracker · GitHub

1 Like

Hi,

Currently it is not possible to associate an Ignition file with a VM in Proxmox GUI. It is however possible to do so by adding an arg to QEMU. Just make sure the ignition file is available on your Proxmox host.

Here’s an example doing it with Proxmox API tool, pvesh:

pvesh create /nodes/${PROXMOX_NODE_NAME}/qemu/${VM_ID}/config/ --args "-fw_cfg name=opt/com.coreos/config,file=mnt/pve/tank-vz/snippets/ignition-file.ign"

Replace ${PROXMOX_NODE_NAME} & ${VM_ID} with your own values.
File /mnt/pve/tank-vz/snippets/ignition-file.ign will be available to CoreOS on VM boot and then the magic starts :slight_smile:

2 Likes