Btrfs vs ext4 what is better

Is it really worth it to install fedora with btrfs file system if i don’t use timeshift and take snapshot does anyone have an ans.
And if ans is no then should i use ext4 or xfs for my fedroa installation.?
If yes then what are the benefit. Because i read online that btrfs is not as fast as xfs or ext4.

And should i use btrfs for my 512gb ssd which is my primary storage or i should just use btrfs for / root

1 Like

Timeshift doesn’t even work by default with the way fedora implements BTRFS, but snapper works really well if you’re interested in it one day. BTRFS does more than just enable snapshots though, the transparent compression can help to save quite a bit of disk space.

I’d say go with ext4 if you need the most absolute stability, BTFRS for everything else, since I’ve never used XFS myself to comment on it.

IIUC you cannot use LVM with an XFS file system since it seems to not allow resizing.

Unless you need the extra available with btrfs then I would stick with ext4. I have dabbled with btrfs but so far have not seen anything that really caught my attention as useful. YMMV

You can use LVM; it is the default configuration for RHEL and for Fedora Server. XFS can’t shrink, but it can grow, so the normal pattern is to create filesystems smaller than the full disk and increase as needed. (This also works with virt, where you can actually grow the size of the “disk”, and then the filesystems to match.)

1 Like

Hello…
I tried to do an experiment, to install what I could in ext4…
I did it like this:
/boot/efi - fat32
/boot - ext4
/ - ext4
/home - ext4
Here with me it didn’t work…
Fedora installs, but when it’s time to update it gives an error.
I’ve done this more than once, and even changed the installation media.

1 Like

Please be specific and tell us exactly what you saw that makes you say it did not work. We cannot guess as to why.
Was it a problem with internet? Was it lack of drive space? Was there an error message? Did it hang?

There are a lot of possibilities, but only you can tell us what did happen.

1 Like

I’ll try to be as specific as possible, but I don’t remember the exact words for DNF, and I don’t intend to reproduce this installation experience.
Fedora installs normally, but notifies you during the update process - sudo dnf up - that it was unable to complete the update. So Fedora continues to work for several days, but when I typed ‘sudo dnf up’, DNF said there was nothing to do…

Remember also, that if you give us shorthand versions of what commands you use and the response you get we cannot help since we cannot read minds.

Be precise and complete in what you post. The response you receive will only be as accurate as the information you give us.

I appreciate your attempt to help, but this time I’m not asking for help. It was just a report, and it’s no problem for me.
Before Fedora adopted Btrfs by default, I was able to do manual partitioning, now I have to let Anaconda do what it wants…
And for me it’s okay, I don’t really care.

If fedora did not update when you entered ‘sudo dnf update’ then there is definitely something wrong that should be fixed quickly. The only exception to that would be if you have things configured to do automatic updates, in which case the manual method may actually have nothing to do.

EXT4 is better for small files and day to day use.

XFS is better larger files and long-term maintaince and stability.

BTRFS have some fancy features, and could help you manage your disk better in some automation-future-proof way. Its not faster or more stable then the other two. Its good for Fedora and other distro that try to keep on the edge of kernel/features/technologies ( so that when an big or important update breaks your system, you can " " “easly” " " revert your system to a working condition ).

If you are insecure about it, dont use it. Or if you wanna try, use it with some part of your disk, other then the root partition.

2 Likes

Im very curious about this. The only way the partition scheme could break the update process would be no-space on the root for the upgrade to complete (as some weeks on Fedora could mean an entire distro upgrade coming from DNF UP. Like 2GB+ download and install ).

can you share more details if you remember ? sorry in advance from the other ones in the topic as we are diverging from the main post.

1 Like

Ola @Hygor!
Esse laptop é um Lenovo Ideapad 330 15IKB, e eu reservei 50 GiB para a partição raiz (/)…
E não foi apenas isso… Na ocasião do lançamento do Fedora 33, fiz uma particionamento semelhante, a diferença é que o sda3, que seria a partição raiz, seria em btrfs… O Anaconda instalou a partição /home (sda4) como sda3… Então o /home foi instalado como sda3, e o / como sda4.
Já na Fedora 34, quando instalei da forma já citada, o DNF relatava que havia um problema na atualização… A instalação em si, funcionava super bem… Mas o sistema não atualizava mais… Mesmo dando um ‘sudo dnf clean all’ e depois um ‘sudo dnf ref’… Quando dava um ‘sudo dnf up’ o dnf dizia que não havia nada a fazer.

1 Like

Thx Luca. Sorry for the late answer.

Kinda weird how to system switched from HOME to ROOT in your partition tables. BTRFS creates volumes and dynamically goes around and does his stuff with them( another of the things I don’t really like). Still, that doesn’t really explain why the DNF updates would stop working. A weird bug, a shame we can’t replicate it to study and dissect it.