Bitlocker auto-unlocking

Hi!

Firstly, I’d like to say returning to Fedora with Fedora 34 has been a real treat. One of the things I’ve noticed is the addition of Bitlocker drives being a first class citizen - I can just plug my drive in, put in my password and it works out of the box (believe this is due to Cryptsetup). This is extremely useful, and makes it as easy to use as a Windows installation. Bravo!

Something I’ve realised however is, if I unplug my drive and replug my drive in, my drive is already unlocked. This happens even across restarts, meaning I never have to put in my password again.

For now, this is OK from my standpoint as my host machine has its own encryption anyway, meaning my data is safe. However, if I wanted to “forget” the unlock so to speak, how would I go about doing this? I can’t find any cryptsetup documentation explaining this anywhere. Even if I manually “lock” the drive in Disks for example, if I unplug the drive and reattach it, it already autounlocks. This troubles me a bit from a security perspective (even if, as I say, in my case it’s probably fine as my installation is also encrypted).

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic, thank you!

1 Like

Passwords and keys? You may saved it there. If your passphrase is the same as your login you will not be asked for a passphrase/login.

1 Like

Thanks - didn’t have Seahorse installed so wasn’t able to figure that one out!
Seems like the only option I have is to “Delete” it if I ever want to get rid of it, which is OK. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.