Article proposal: upcoming desktop UX changes in F34

I’m a designer in Red Hat’s desktop team, I participate upstream in the GNOME design team, and I’m a member of the Fedora Workstation Working Group.

We have some UX changes coming in GNOME 40, which will land in F34. I’ve been covering these in the GNOME shell developer blog and would like to write something Fedora-specific, so Fedora users know what to expect from F34.

The main focus of the article would be what the F34 desktop will look like, and how to get the most from it. I’d really like to cover some of the process behind the changes (particularly the user research we’ve done), but I suspect that would make the article too long…!

It would be great to hear any thoughts people have for the article!

4 Likes

We usually run a “What’s new in Fedora Workstation” article with each release (e.g. F32 and F33). This is normally pretty high-level and focused on the applications, but since GNOME 40 is a pretty big change, I think a deeper look behind the scenes pre-release would be good. You might want to focus more on the “why?” and “how?” for this article and leave the bult of the “what?” for the release day article. Or maybe not. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m a big +1 to this. Once another editor gives it a +1, they’ll create a Taiga card for tracking it.

3 Likes

Thanks @bcotton , that’s helpful feedback. I’ll see if I can do a post with more background information.

Though, I do have a concern that, if we don’t provide specifics about the design, we could generate anxiety and uncertainty.

Understood. My advice in these situations is generally “see where the article takes you”. I agree that providing at least some specifics about the design is good. The question is “how much”, which generally is best answered as you draft it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 I’ve created a card for this article, Allan. #289

If you haven’t yet, please log in to teams.fedoraproject.org and I’ll assign you to the card

3 Likes

@aday I’ve assigned you to card #289. Please let us know when you feel it is ready for review by changing the Taiga card status to Review.

Thanks.