Activate AMDGPU for CI or SI generation

I’m new to Fedora, the closest thing I used was RHEL back when I was going through the RHCSA and RHCE courses around 2010 so I’m unfamiliar with any configuration conventions for driver modules and the likes (GPU drivers and such weren’t part of the coursework anyway).

I have followed editing GRUB to enable AMDGPU which worked correctly in Ubuntu and Arch but stops Fedora from booting after the few seconds of GRUB flashing. The following is the combination I tried to boot Fedora with by editing the parameters at boot time (none of them worked):

• radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.dpm=1 amdgpu.modeset=1
  • radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.dc=1 amdgpu.modeset=1
  • radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.dc=1
  • radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1

Is there anything else within the Fedora stack which controls kernel modules besides kernel parameters?

Turns out the issue was amdgpu.dc=1. I thought I tried booting without it before making this thread, but perhaps not. In any case, to summarize, the method to get AMDGPU for these two generations are

1. Edit /etc/default/grub, at the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line add radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 inside the quotation. You may also optionally add amdgpu.dpm=1 amdgpu.modeset=1 at your own risk, your hardware may or may not take that well.
  2. Run sudo grub2-mkconfig
  3. Reboot
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.