Accidentally disabled novueau, can't remember how

After going through hell with the nvidia drivers (hourly system crashes, lockups, random audio drops, etc), I’m going back to nouveau. Unfortunately, I did <something> to disable nouveau when I first installed nvidia drivers and I don’t remember exactly what it was. I’m assuming nouveau is disabled since I’m getting the 1024x768 resolution we know and love and associate with no graphics driver.

Fedora 34. GTX 960.

Things I’ve checked

• /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf is empty
  • I have removed /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
  • I have removed the nouveau blacklist line from /etc/default/grub and regenerated with grub2-mkconfig for both EFI and legacy to be safe
  • Rebuilt boot image with dracut
  • Removed all nvidia* packages with dnf
  • Upgraded kernel (now to 5.13.5)

What else might I have done? Is this even a nouveau problem? I’m doubting everything at this point.

I’m running out of things to try here. No obvious issues in journalctl -xe or /var/log/Xorg.0.log (although I don’t really know what I’m looking for).

About this system in settings gives "Graphics: llvmpipe(LLVM 12.0.0, 256 bits) which I assume is wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any help, thanks in advance! Let me know if I can provide any information.

Thomas

maybe reading through this doc might help:
https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?highlight=(\bCategoryHowto\b)

e.g. “Switching between nouveau/nvidia”

Honestly I gave up and just reinstalled. Curse you nvidia

You removed the nvidia* packages, but left the kmod-nvidia, the akmod-nvidia (which builds the kmod-nvidia), and all the xorg-x11-drv-nvidia* packages. You could have seen which ones to remove to get them all with "sudo dnf list installed ‘*nvidia*’ "

Pretty sure I didn’t…

I did dnf list installed | grep nvidia and didn’t find anything

I also installed nvidia through their drivers (the .run download from their site) and not through rpmfusion

That would certainly explain the lack of installed packages. It also could explain the problems since that .run file does not pull in any of the dependencies nor configure xorg for you.

Installing the nvidia packages through rpmfusion using dnf will:

1. Allow them to pull in any and all dependencies
  2. Provide updates when available
  3. Recompile the driver automatically when a kernel update is installed. (kernel updates without a recompile will break the driver at the boot into the new kernel when you use the .run file to install)

I suggest you reinstall the nvidia drivers using this tool and I suspect things will go better for you. It configures rpmfusion as well as doing the install of all needed packages.
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/t0xic0der/nvidia-auto-installer-for-fedora/

usually there is/should be a sort of “uninstall” parameter for this package too …