When I use the ifconfig command, I can't find my network card ens33

1 Like

Check that you have setup the network in the VMware config for the VM.
Does lspci show your NIC?
Do you see any any reference to eth in dmesg?

Try ip addr or ip link. Also ifconfig -a.

1 Like

sorry,i can’t understand what you mean.

Run the commands that @vekruse suggested.

FYI ifconfig is a old deprecated command, its replacement is the ip command.

I tried the ifcongfig-a command and ens33 appeared. But there is no IP address in ENS33, only Mac.

That means that you have not setup the networking.

To use a Fedora server it is expected that you have some knowledge of being a system administrator.

Am I right in thinking that you are a new linux user and still learning?

Yes, you guessed it right. I need to learn these knowledge. But I didn’t find a place to study it systematically.

my task is learn how to setup the networking.

There are linux users who just memorize some commands without understanding what they do, and others who begin by studying the underlying protocols and structures and are able to understand error messages and status reports.

GUI tools in linux are generally only useful for the most common configuration tasks. Documentation in Fedora often needs updating for the current release I recommend that you start with Linux Command (LC) which has been around long enough for issues to be found and fixed. It also has translations. A big issue that you need to guard against is low-quality machine translations and AI generated content. After LC, look at The Linux Documentation Project. Some documents are quite old but the basic concepts have not changed, so are useful when supplemented with current man pages (and help from forums (there are people who have been through the changes in linux networking over many years!). Basic linux networking comes from linux.org and so is the same across distributions with the same kernel version. Official linux distro sites often have excellent documentation.

When I was first starting out nmtui was a really helpful tool in setting up networking in Linux. You might need to install NetworkManager-tui, not sure if it comes as a default package. Otherwise if you want to use the pre-installed nmcli command Red Hat has great free documentation:

Since I’m also learning (and unlikely to ever stop), I’d recommend LinuxFoundationX: Introduction to Linux as a starting point. There is a chapter dedicated to network operations where you can learn basic networking concepts including types of networks and addressing issues, how to configure network interfaces and use basic networking utilities, such as ifconfig, ip, ping, route and traceroute, etc. Even if you have knowledge of some of the concepts, I think it wouldn’t be pointless to review them.

I signed up for a bit of learning and found that a lot of useful content was paid for.

Paid content is for verified certificates, graded assessments, exams and access to videos/readings after the course end date. In my opinion, the free content and 4-month term are enough to lay the foundations for a good working knowledge of Linux.

OK,I agree with you.