Tools to extract an existing partition scheme into Kickstart part command file format

Hi all !

I have a working partition scheme that I have customized in my running Fedora Silverblue system.
So it is different from the original Anaconda installation.

I would like to duplicate this partition scheme into a working Kickstart File to generate an new installation. But I have a hard time translating it into the relevant kickstart part command syntax…

Is there a tool or a command that can “extract” my current partition scheme (which could be detailed with fdisk -lor lsblk -f ) into a working kickstart syntax for the relevant part command:

Something of a “reverse” ksvalidator maybe ?

Thanks !

No, there unfortunately isn’t a tool that could do this. blivet-gui used to have an option to generate the kickstart file but it was removed long time ago. system-config-kickstart GUI tool for generating kickstart files is also deprecated and not maintained.

The biggest problem with generating kickstart from your existing storage is that kickstart doesn’t support everything – you can easily create storage configuration that cannot be replicated by kickstart.

If you want to start with the kickstart from your original installation, it should still be saved in /root/anaconda-ks.cfg so you can use it as a starting point and/or example.

I’m not sure if this helps, but gdisk b option creates a backup file for the current partition table that can be used with the r(recovery) menu, but I’m not sure how to fully this for a kickstart since I’m used to running this in an interactive mode.

Update - It looks like sgdisk can do the backup scripted with -b that could presumably then be loaded with the -l flag in the kickstart. This admittedly doesn’t get you exactly what you were looking for, but this is the closest I can think of to a “reverse fdisk -l”.