Toolbox + sudo error

I get the following error when trying to use any sudo command inside my toolbox. Issue began very recently, didnt have any issues in past. I went far enough to rm my toolbox container and rmi the image, but same issue persist on new toolbox container.

sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set

Had this error in combination with this one. Downgrading podman to 1.2 solved it for me.

Can you check permissions on ~/.local/share/containers/storage/overlay-containers please?

I had received a “permission denied” error a few days ago when trying to enter toolbox. I was able to resolve that error with sudo chown -R $USER ~/.local/share/containers/storage/overlay-containers

However, the command is not resolving this issue.

That is the same behavior I observed: After fixing the permission, sudo does not work.

As I mentioned, downgrading podman solved it on F30 Workstation. If you are on SB: Do you have a rollback with an older podman version?

Ok.

I don’t have a rollback that has an older version of podman, so I’m not immediately sure how to downgrade. Will do some research.

If you download the RPM for an older version of podman (start with https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?search=podman, say) - then you can install it with ‘rpm-ostree override replace’.

Ugh, yeah sorry this was my fault, the chown correct I gave out had a stupid oversight :sweat_smile:. I edited with an updated version, super sorry about that!

A simple fix would be to recreate the container; if that’s not feasible, you can find the location of sudo in ~/.local/share/overlay-containers and fix the permissions manually.

I’m admittedly not sure why the command had worked for me, maybe my sudo hadn’t been upgraded since the base image or similar.