And for that course I had to set up a VM running one of Ubuntu, CentOS, or Fedora. I chose Fedora. During the course, I quite liked Fedora in the VM and decided to install it on my main computer. Long story short, I’ve been up all night installing and setting up Fedora.
It didn’t go smoothly. After the install, when I rebooted, I couldn’t log in. I just got dumped back at the log in screen. After a few hours searching the Web, I found the cause of the problem. I had reused my home directory from EndeavourOS and selinux was throwing a fit over it. One relatively quick restorecon later and I was logging in like a pro. I have a feeling that selinux is going to be one hellish learning curve.
At the moment, I don’t have much of a sense whether I’ll stay with Fedora or go crawling back to EndeavourOS. Apart from the fun of sorting out the log in issue, it’s all been plain sailing.
A little bit about me. My name is Richard (obviously) and I’ve been programming computers since 1983 when my parents bought me a Commodore Vic 20. I still program today, usually in C++, but I am learning rust as well.
I switched full time to Linux in 2003 when I realized I hadn’t booted Windows in 6 months and have distro-hopped through most distros. My last two were Tumbleweed for 8 years and EndeavourOS for 2 years. EndeavourOS remains on my laptop.
Plasma > Xfce > Gnome, vim > emacs, and it’s pronounced gif. Now you know where I stand on many of the flame-wars of the day, so we don’t have to revisit them later.
Relax and enjoy your machine. I’ve never heard of EndeavourOS and it seems I may never try it out because Fedora has me hooked since 2008. Anyway, Selinux is your friend. Seriously though.
If Selinux starts acting up, its because something suspicious is playing out. Cooperate. I think you’ll be fine given your experience. Commodore … wow. The last I saw was 64 along with an Amstrad PC. Memories
"The OPTIONS is a comma-separated list and can be one or more of:
rw|ro
z|Z
[…]"
“To change a label in the container context, add either of two suffixes :z or :Z to the volume mount. These suffixes tell Podman to relabel file objects on the shared volumes. The z option tells Podman that two or more containers share the volume content. As a result, Podman labels the content with a shared content label. Shared volume labels allow all containers to read/write content. The Z option tells Podman to label the content with a private unshared label. Only the current container can use a private volume.”
Cheers on choosing Fedora and emacs(my preference too).
Fedora rocks. Fedora 44 is best at present. I prefer gnome desktop, but I don’t impose my opinion on others.
Since you’re testing trying Fedora stuff, please try bootc Fedora Silverblue 44.
It’s not that I don’t love shiny new stuff like Fedora 45 Beta, but let me explain how it bit me a few times lately.
-my son loves Steam(Farming Sim, Forza5, Beamng). Bootc Fedora Silverblue 45 had bugs when launching the games. No problem though, I just changed Containerfile back to 44 and rebuilt container from Fedora Silverblue 44 and everything behaved as before and the f44 desktop wallpaper was back as an indicator. Took about 5 minutes.
-my computer has more geeky/programming stuff and some music synth stuff bitwig/odin2/surge-xt with a usb midi keyboard(controller) connected to it. Same thing happened Bootc Fedora Silverblue 45 had bugs with mouse focus on midi synth apps bitwig/odin2/surge-xt. I took 5 minutes to tweak the Containerfile back to 44, rebuilt the container, rebooted and everything behaved correctly as before.
Conclusion: Fedora 45 is still beta for sure. I love the bootc containers to boot from because it allows me to try out anything as a main boot capability and if it doesn’t work out, no problem, just boot a previous deployment, build a new container file, deploy that one, reboot into it and undeploy the unwanted container. I have great confidence in using bootc with any Fedora version, but I currently prefer 44 because of its stability and maturity.
I dabble in Risc-v Hardware. I own the Starfive Visionfive 2 and the Milk-V Titan Riscv boards. I’ve had the VF2 since they shipped a few years ago. The Milk-V Titan just shipped in August 2026. Both have Fedora Server 44 RISCV Omni kernel on them and behaving perfectly for server-related work. The Milk-V Titan handles the Gnome Desktop easily with its pcie port for your favorite GPU. I’ve tried 3 different AMD gpu’s in there and all work well. I’ll bet the Intel/NVidia ones will be working on RISCV hardware as well.
I fried one my newest gpu’s with a UPS that wasn’t supplying enough power to the system. It only had 550VA UPS with a new battery and the system was pulling more than that and fried one of my gpu’s unfortunately. I need to get bigger UPS. I didn’t realize this until it was too late. As a result, my little milk-v titan is running with an older gpu so my son has the newer gpu in his for his ultimate gaming experience without a UPS for now LOL.
The chrome/chromium browser isn’t on RISCV as a package yet.
firefox and icecat exist and work on Fedora 44.
Fedora Server 44 RISCV with gnome-desktop is a GO and I recommend it.
Fedora Server 44 RISCV without the desktop is imho stable and mature enough.
Fedora Server 45 RISCV BETA with gnome-desktop installed has issues that make it unusable with firefox/icecat so I wouldn’t recommend it for desktop usage until that gets sorted out.
Fedora Server 45 RISCV BETA with gnome-desktop has issues that make it unusable with firefox/icecat so I wouldn’t recommend it for desktop usage until that gets sorted out.
Fedora Server 45 RISCV BETA without the desktop boots up and performs brilliantly and I easily recommend it for headless work, but have backup f44 nvme’s handy just in case. First impressions here are very good.
Not to toot the AI HARNESS BANDWAGON too much, but these kinds of toolsets empower regular folk into super-heroes. It can hallucinate so be prepared for blunders on the way, but what it gets right it shines so bright.
jcode built with rust is looking good for me. it compiled with ease on both x86_64 and riscv64 (titan) on f44. simply amazing for non gui code generation and running non gui stuff on your f44 box.
BUT what about gui automation? Where’s the love for that? There’s been an evolution of desktop plumbing moving away from x11 to wayland so I’ve done my best to zealously avoid x11 anything for gui automation and finding the right stuff to build/run on both x86_64 and riscv64.
I think I have found it. wdotool and wflow. It works on x86_64. I haven’t tested it on risc64 yet, but I have great confidence it will build/run successfully on the f44 gnome-desktop riscv64. I’ve given enough reasons above about not adopting f45 just yet.
Thank you for tolerating my mindmeld. Cheers and enjoy your Fedora adventure.