Problem Reporting keep spamming notification

I just ran dnf update this morning and after that I restarted the system and greeted with Problem Reporting keep spamming notifications about something hardware problem. I don’t think it was hardware problem because before the update my system ran just fine. The problem persist even if I switch to older kernel (log is from kernel 5.2.9, the update installed kernel 5.2.13). Below is the log from the Problem Reporting: Log File

I know i can just turn the Problem Reporting tool off, but I want to know why this happening.

Okay, somehow I managed to stop the notification from spamming. I ran journalctl -b and saw directory missing error on /var/log/message, so I just created that directory and the notification stopped showing.

I don’t understand why it reports as hardware problem if the problem is missing directory…

1 Like

Did you find out which service claims this directory?
It looks like there’s no package in the Fedora repository that provides it.

Did you find out which service claims this directory?
It looks like there’s no package in the Fedora repository that provides it.

Actually, the error looks like this at first :

Sep 14 13:03:22 localhost.localdomain abrt-dump-journal-oops[1138]: Reported 1 kernel oopses to Abrt
Sep 14 13:03:23 localhost.localdomain abrt-dump-journal-oops[1138]: abrt-dump-journal-oops: Found oopses: 1
Sep 14 13:03:23 localhost.localdomain abrt-dump-journal-oops[1138]: abrt-dump-journal-oops: Creating problem directories
Sep 14 13:03:23 localhost.localdomain abrt-server[16987]: Failed to read file ‘/var/log/messages’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/var/log/messages’
Sep 14 13:03:24 localhost.localdomain abrt-notification[17003]: System encountered a non-fatal error in ??()

Since I don’t know if requested /var/log/message is a directory or a file, I created a directory. But error below shows that it should be a file (but since the error below doesn’t appear again after reboot, I left /var/log/message as a directory) :

Sep 14 18:58:14 localhost.localdomain abrt-dump-journal-oops[1536]: Reported 1 kernel oopses to Abrt
Sep 14 18:58:15 localhost.localdomain abrt-dump-journal-oops[1536]: abrt-dump-journal-oops: Found oopses: 1
Sep 14 18:58:15 localhost.localdomain abrt-dump-journal-oops[1536]: abrt-dump-journal-oops: Creating problem directories
Sep 14 18:58:15 localhost.localdomain abrt-server[9301]: Failed to read file ‘/var/log/messages’: [Errno 21] Is a directory: ‘/var/log/messages’
Sep 14 18:58:16 localhost.localdomain abrt-notification[9317]: System encountered a non-fatal error in ??()

It shows that ABRT is the one asking for that file, but ABRT was not included in my last dnf update run. Also, this post mentions that /var/log/message should’ve been replaced by journalctl, so I wonder why ABRT still asking for access to that file.

1 Like