No sound on f37 fresh install

Ok, after removing the blacklist, your device is detected as ALC892 again instead of “Generic”, and the analog profiles and ports are available (“disponível”), so it seems like the right direction.

I don’t see anything wrong with the logs now…

I will look at it closer tomorrow. In the meantime, we should rule out some obvious things:

• Has the PC sound ever worked (for example, before you installed Fedora)?
  • Do the headphones work with other devices?
  • Have you tried connecting the headphones to the rear panel (green port) instead of the front panel?

Realtek makes the sound card for many motherboards. Intel designed the specification.

There are two parts to the sound card, a controller chip and a codec chip. snd_hda_intel supports all controller chips, despite the name. snd_hda_codec_realtek is for the codec chip.

It’s not unusual that both modules are loaded. I have a ALC892 on a different motherboard that behaves like that.

Basically it’s complicated and don’t worry about it :grin: I also barely know what’s going on.

Let’s reply to these questions.

• I suppose that yes. I bought this PC from a friend, and he don’t mention any issue with the sound. By the way, I’ll test some live ISOs of others systems to check better this situation.
  • Yes, the headphone works properly in others devices.
  • Yes, I already tried this.

And, again… Thanks for spend your time to help me.

I propose you test with Arch Linux. They are always a step ahead and also do have a good documentation.
Try to be objective and also check the version of kernel and pipewire etc.

2 Likes

My daily driver is an old iMac with built-in speakers (it has a Cirrus CS4206 audio device and Nvidia GK107 usiing nouveau). The speakers have been working with pipewire-0.3.69-1.fc37. I just tried headphones, and although they show up in both pavucontrol and Gnome Settings, they don’t make any sound (but do work when using a USB sound device).

I downgraded to pipewire-0.3.59-2.fc37 and the headphones are recognized but don’t produce sound.

I’ve been using Linux for many years, so have learned to have a few cheap (and one high-end) USB audio devices around. Audio is one area where vendors all do things a bit differently, so linux users suffer these issues. Sometimes a hardware fix beats software fiddles. I figure since linux doesn’t cost anything I can afford a few hardware workarounds.

2 Likes

Hello guys. Only to stay you updated.
I’ve tested the following three distros: Fedora 38, Linux Mint 21, and Manjaro KDE. Unfortunately, all of them still with the same problem.

1 Like

I’ve looked through the logs a few times now, other than learning a few Portuguese words, I really don’t see anything. It looks almost the same as the logs of my ALC892 on a different motherboard.

If you open pavucontrol and play some audio, do the meters move?

Check both the Playback and Output Devices tabs. On the Playback tab the app playing sound should appear, and on the Output Devices should show your device with Port: Fones de ouvido. Both should have a meter under it moving left and right.

Also try this with both duplex and non-duplex profiles.

Other than that, maybe there’s something in the UEFI/BIOS settings about the sound card. Some boards let you choose HD or AC 97 codecs, if there is you could try changing it.

1 Like

One more stupid question, is the headphone connector TRS or TRRS?

TRS: 3 contacts / 2 plastic rings, works with PC audio port

TRRS: 4 contacts / 3 plastic rings, might not work with PC audio port

Photo of two 3.5mm audio connectors; TRRS on the left, TRS on the right.
Rx5674, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Description:
White: stereo + mic
Black: stereo

It is quite simple, the white one is with a mic. Newer devices like mobile phones and newer laptops do have just one socket. And it is thought to use with headphones where have a mic included.

If you want to use the black jack stereo only, you need a plug/y-cable who separates the mic from stereo.

Hello folks! I came back after a long time…
Then… I solved the problem with two adapters combined.

Ultimataly… An image tells more than a thousand words