I got a new laptop back in January and for the last couple of months, I have not been able to get the TB3 port working correctly (there is only one, and it’s not used for charging). I want to remember that it did work fine for the first few weeks until some kernel update, but I can’t say for sure. The laptop in question is a Razer Blade 15 (RTX 2060 model).
This is some behaviors I am currently seeing:
- No matter if I have User or No Security in BIOS, the port seems to fall back to being just a DisplayPort (e.g. I can get a picture from my dock but no USB or other connectivity)
- boltctl list yields nothing no matter the security config mentioned above
- dmesg shows this message: “thunderbolt 0000:06:00.0: failed to read root switch config space, giving up” after boot
- Port dies after suspending the computer (e.g. when I wake the computer back up again the port doesn’t work, until I fully reboot the computer again)
- And the computer somehow still thinks that any monitor that was plugged-in still exists, so if I was using an external monitor before as the only monitor, I am left with a black screen on the laptop and no ability to do anything except a REISUB or power cycle
- Sometimes, if I have something plugged-in to the port on boot, the computer just fails to boot (gets stuck on a black screen).
I am currently on Fedora 31 with kernel 5.5.8-200.fc31.x86_64. I tried googling the dmesg error above but couldn’t find anything useful. I am tempted to try an older kernel but I can’t remember which version I originally had (maybe 5.2?).