HP printer stopped printing

Fedora ships hplip as part of the normal install on Workstation edition. Fedora also provides the hplip-gui package to have the graphical printer management tool

When installing hplip and hplip-gui on fedora all dependencies are already included so there is no issue with

This avoids potential problems with installing from a 3rd party source (hp) and also avoids conflicts with having the same software installed from more than one source (HP vs Fedora) and having the software from one source overwrite files from the other source.

I have used HP printers for years on fedora and never have problems as long as I do the install using hplip and only the print queue that is created in that manner.

The only time it does not work is if I attempt to use the printer that the system automatically configures for me. The automatic configuration never seems to work but the one configured with hplip always works.