Gnome problems 'GDK is screen failed' etc... have to initiate graphic mode via gnome-shell

I messed around a bit, uninstalled too many packages (flatpak dependecies) and after reinstalling them again I have some problems:
I have to initiate session via gnome-shell --wayland or gnome-shell --x11,
Fn keys are not working, log out too
sleep not working - screen goes dark but then wakes up again (an no lock screen option)
wondows have strange frames & fonts - not “native (gnome) apps” but e.g firefox.
What could be ther problem, do I need to provide gnome logs ?

and at recent update I got

/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/psad.conf:1: Line references path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/psad → /run/psad; please update the tmpfiles.d/ drop-in file accordingly.
/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/tcpcrypt.conf:1: Line references path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/tcpcryptd → /run/tcpcryptd; please update the tmpfiles.d/ drop-in file accordingly.

Your system behavior I thing still normal since you are using gnome-shell instead the normal way through display manager. I tested it with gnome-shell and get same behavior.

Btw, is it happen each time you reboot the system (need to run gnome-shell to bring the graphical interface)?

If yes, may be you need to try with sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target then reboot.

If above not working, check with systemctl status gdm (assumed you’re using default Gnome login), is there any error message?

Or also systemctl --failed to check failed services.

1 Like

it happens each time set-default graphical.target doesn’t help

systemctl status gdm 
○ gdm.service - GNOME Display Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; disabled; vendor pres>
     Active: inactive (dead)

failed services only snapd, unbound and docker
and correction gnome-shell x11 gives target not found or smth like that only wayland works

May be you need to disable first snapd and docker.

systemctl stop snapd
systemctl stop docker

systemctl disable snapd
systemctl disable docker

Then enable gdm.

systemctl enable gdm

Then reboot your system.

docker and snapd is selinux related but enabling gdm worked, thanks