Gnome extensions won't launch

Fedora version: 34

I installed Fedora WS 34 in my new desktop and installed Gnome Tweaks. I discovered that gnome extensions now come as a separate application.
So, I installed it from ‘Software’. After the installation, when I click on ‘Extensions’ green icon thing, it won’t launch.

So, I thought of invoking it from the command line, by typing

gnome-extensions &

But, it goes to a command line menu (shown below) instead of launching the GUI app

[ghislaine@localhost ~]$ gnome-extensions &
[1] 15754
[ghislaine@localhost ~]$ Usage:
  gnome-extensions COMMAND [ARGS…]

Commands:
  help      Print help
  version   Print version
  enable    Enable extension
  disable   Disable extension
  reset     Reset extension
  uninstall Uninstall extension
  list      List extensions
  info      Show extension info
  show      Show extension info
  prefs     Open extension preferences
  create    Create extension
  pack      Package extension
  install   Install extension bundle

Use “gnome-extensions help COMMAND” to get detailed help.

[1]+  Exit 1                  gnome-extensions
[ghislaine@localhost ~]$

So, how can I launch the gnome-extenstions GUI ?

1 Like

I can launch Extensions without issues.

I do a search in Dash, and click on the icon to start it.

Do you see anything in the journal ?

2 Likes

Oh ok. Thank You Sampson.
I tried to invoke from dash (Clicking on ‘Show Applications’).
But, when I click on the ‘Extensions’ icon, nothing happens.

Two questions.

Question1. How do I check the journal ?

Question2. How can I launch a new terminal window ?

The real reason I am looking for Extensions is because I want a separate terminal window whenever I click on the terminal icon.

Now, when I click Terminal to have a new Terminal window, the existing Terminal window to pops up and it is very annoying especially when you want to run commands in separate windows.

Back in the day, I could use ‘Gnone Tweaks’ > ‘Extensions’ to configure ‘Launch new instance of app’ , so that , with every click on Terminal (or any app) , a new Terminal window/new instance of the app will pop up.

Is there any other way I could achieve this without gnome extensions ?

1. in a terminal, run sudo journalctl -f, this will keep monitoring what is being logged to journal. So run this before start a problematic application.

• When Gnome-terminal is running, press Ctrl+Shift+n for new window
  • Ctrl+Shift+t for new tab
  • in Dash, when the Icon is show, right-click->new windows
  • when gnome-terminal is running, run click on the application in the Top Bar, then select new window
2 Likes
sudo dnf install gnome-extensions-app
gnome-extensions-app
3 Likes

Installing gnome-extensions-app and invoking it as vladislav has suggested did the trick.

I think I installed gnome-extensions (not gnome-extensions-app) earlier and it did not work. This is confusing ! There should only be one ; either gnome-extensions-app or gnome-extensions

BTW, the GUI still won’t launch from Dash. But the GUI launches when you type gnome-extensions-app in the command line

Sampson, Vladislav
THANK YOU VERY MUCH to both of you !

1 Like

Thanks for the Ctrl+Shift+n to launch a new instance tip, Sampson.
I learnt something new and useful today.

1 Like

I captured the following from journal when I try to launch Extensions from the Dash and fails.
Does this error message provide any clue ?

Please use copy and paste when posting text outputs.

Screen shot of text is hard to read and not searchable.

1 Like
May 29 15:58:31 localhost.localdomain systemd[2134]: Started dbus-:1.2-org.gnome.Extensions@11.service.
May 29 15:58:31 localhost.localdomain systemd[2134]: Started app-flatpak-org.gnome.Extensions-43968.scope.
May 29 15:58:31 localhost.localdomain audit[43968]: NETFILTER_CFG table=filter family=7 entries=0 op=xt_register pid=43968 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 comm="bwrap"
May 29 15:58:31 localhost.localdomain audit[43968]: NETFILTER_CFG table=broute family=7 entries=0 op=xt_register pid=43968 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 comm="bwrap"
May 29 15:58:31 localhost.localdomain audit[43968]: NETFILTER_CFG table=nat family=7 entries=0 op=xt_register pid=43968 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 comm="bwrap"
May 29 15:58:32 localhost.localdomain systemd[2134]: Started dbus-:1.2-org.gnome.Shell.Extensions@12.service.
May 29 15:58:32 localhost.localdomain flatpak[43978]: libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
May 29 15:58:32 localhost.localdomain flatpak[43978]: libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
May 29 15:58:32 localhost.localdomain gjs[43978]: The program 'gnome-extensions-app' received an X Window System error.
                                                  This probably reflects a bug in the program.
                                                  The error was 'GLXBadFBConfig'.
                                                    (Details: serial 269 error_code 167 request_code 151 (GLX) minor_code 0)
                                                    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
                                                     that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
                                                     To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
                                                     variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
                                                     backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
May 29 15:58:32 localhost.localdomain systemd[2134]: dbus-:1.2-org.gnome.Extensions@11.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 29 15:58:32 localhost.localdomain systemd[2134]: dbus-:1.2-org.gnome.Extensions@11.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
May 29 15:58:32 localhost.localdomain systemd[2134]: app-flatpak-org.gnome.Extensions-43968.scope: Deactivated successfully.
May 29 15:58:32 localhost.localdomain audit[36507]: NETFILTER_CFG table=nat family=7 entries=0 op=xt_unregister pid=36507 subj=system_u:system_r:kernel_t:s0 comm="kworker/u24:0"
May 29 15:58:32 localhost.localdomain audit[36507]: NETFILTER_CFG table=broute family=7 entries=0 op=xt_unregister pid=36507 subj=system_u:system_r:kernel_t:s0 comm="kworker/u24:0"

Which graphics driver you are using?

1 Like

I am using Nvidia’s proprietary driver downloaded from Nvidia’s website. I am using the same driver for the last 2 years. I didn’t bother to update the driver which involves downloading a new version from Nvidia’s website (the .run file) and installing it. This driver (installed in April 2019) never gave me any trouble and it gives crystal clear display.

$ lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia_drm             69632  14
nvidia_modeset       1187840  21 nvidia_drm
nvidia_uvm           1155072  0
nvidia              34971648  949 nvidia_uvm,nvidia_modeset
drm_kms_helper        278528  1 nvidia_drm
drm                   618496  17 drm_kms_helper,nvidia_drm
$ 
$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104BM [GeForce GTX 1070 Mobile] (rev a1)
$

The + tab in the terminal window gives you a new terminal in another tab.

I use a right click on the activities icon to select a new window.
Also, the menu icon to the right in the open terminal title bar gives you the option for a new window.

Not difficult at all in my experience, and I don’t use the extensions. That action has remained the same since at least F32. I just tried it in both F33 and F34 with the same choices.

1 Like

You certainly are correct in how the update must be done if you use the install method from nvidia.

I prefer to use the drivers from rpmfusion.org that are automatically updated with each driver update. Rpmfusion tweaks the drivers so they work with fedora and do not need any additional work as is sometimes required when installing the driver using the nvidia .run file.

The easiest way to install the rpmfusion drivers is to use this installer from t0xic0der’s copr repo. The other way is to follow the instructions here and use the rpmfusion repo directly.

1 Like