Fedora Workstation Front Page Revamp (first cut, looking for feedback!)

I actually would prefer this go to a landing split page with two paths: a path to get hardware with Fedora pre-installed and another path to download to put on your own machines.

Offhand, I know that we have a few OEMs preloading Fedora Linux on their machines. Notably, we have Lenovo and Slimbook doing it, and I would imagine more would do so if we built in a path to promoting them on our website.

2 Likes

I wonder, to split the the general features / developer features sections, we had a suggestion here to make the dev section dark. I actually mocked it up that way to start (see quick screenshot from that earlier version) but pulled it because I was worried it’d interfere with the ability to do a dark mode. But I was looking around when the topic came up here, and I think we probably could still have a good differentiation in dark mode while keeping this section dark. What do you think?

2 Likes

Yes! The split landing page was what I was thinking. But I know people would scan for the “Download” keyphrase too I think. But I think a download link could still point to the landing page that includes HW purchases.

1 Like

Thank you it really helps to see this visually :slight_smile: I flipped the logos to go under the headers so they are closer to the text of the app they belong to, and I messed with the button text :slight_smile: WDYT?

3 Likes

Hey, it looks pretty good.

I do think there are two extra pieces of information that could be useful here.

Something like a “Try before you install” section, that section should mention how it’s possible to use Fedora before installing with the liveCD/liveUSB on their own hardware and how it’s possible to use virtualization (like VirtualBox) to try it from whatever OS the user is already using.

Second, it would be useful to have a section that tells a bit about system requirements and hardware support, most likely showing a table with minimum and recommended specs and some info about some of the drivers.
Not sure on the name, but maybe something like “Support for old and new hardware”

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. :slight_smile:

I don’t have any feedback for the content structure. I’m not sure we’re at “alignment” yet, but my eye catches a lot of negative space in the sections with screenshots next to descriptive text:

(I want to doodle in the margin!)

2 Likes

Making the developer section dark is interesting - definitely worth considering. There are other changes that could make the sections clearer, like sizing the headings to reflect their place in the page hierarchy, using different colours and backgrounds for each section, and so on.

It would also help if the developers section were rationalized. Currently it has 5 small subsections, each of which have their own layouts, and some of the content is repeated (it talks about Boxes and containers twice over). A simpler structure would help you to know where you are as you scroll through.

Attached below is a kind of sketch to show what I mean by some of this. The original design is on the left. On the right I’ve modified it to try and illustrate some of these ideas - bigger headings for the sections, different text colour for some sections, a simpler developers section.

4 Likes

@aday I like that approach, I’ll update the mockup accordingly. You’re ok dropping the smooth feature at the top? What do you think about @mateusrodcosta 's suggestions?

1 Like

Cool! I’m not entirely convinced about the visual treatment there - it was mostly to illustrate the general idea of differentiating the sections.

Yep. I removed that one because 6 items seemed a bit much, and it was the only one that didn’t have a screenshot.

Those are both interesting points. For “try before you install” it’s probably just a question of where on the page to put it. Will think about that. I’ll also ask the Workstation Working Group about hardware requirements.

Here’s an updated mockup - I hope I got everything here. I tried to incorporate everyone’s suggestions.

4 Likes

I think this is a huge improvement, thanks for all your hard work on this @duffy!

Maybe the features/selling-points can be tweaked as Fedora evolves and time goes on, but whatever they are they’ll fit well into this flexible framework and the current copy is an excellent starting point IMO.

Is this going up? Do you need someone to implement it?

3 Likes

PS @duffy, @bcotton or @mattdm let me know if you do need someone to implement it - happy to help or build it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @nikodunk,

We have kicked off our Fedora Websites 3.0 efforts and now is the best time to join us in making this thing happen. Please head over to Fedora Chat [42] | Fedora Websites and Apps Team (fedoraproject.org) and drop an introduction.

5 Likes

Thanks @t0xic0der - just did so!

I noticed many of these apps are outdated GNOME apps. I suggest updating these screenshots to newer GTK4+libadwaita variant.

Also, GNOME is taking a step to add parental control features and improve them. Just yesterday, Malcontent GTK4 was merged, so we might see the GTK4 variant on GNOME 43. Adding parenting control on the main page might make it more appealing for family computers.

2 Likes

@theevilskeleton Awesome thanks! Yeh I would expect we’d wait until the last stage to take the final screenshots. I think adding parental control features here might be a compelling feature, waht do you think @aday ?

Parental control has one point needs to take in consideration IMO and that is It is only works with Flatpak Apps not with our PRM apps (It has been also mentioned on fedora magazine post article as well)

URL : Fedora and Parental Controls - Fedora Magazine

1 Like

So, a couple of issues I found in https://fedora.gitlab.io/websites-apps/fedora-websites/fedora-websites-3.0/editions/workstation :

1. The “Why Fedora Workstation” section is stretched out, especially on my 1440p monitor:

I have two monitors. Stretching Firefox from my primary monitor to my secondary monitor stretches it even more. I also noticed that it’s slightly placed at the left side of the page. I suggest making it more compact, the same way the “Great for Developers” section does:

2. The “Features for everyone” section is placed at the left side of the page:

The image and text should be placed at the center relative to the page, to address this issue.

3. In the same section, images increase without limit depending on the width of the page. This makes images massive on ultra-wide displays:

Having a maximum size for images should address this issue.

4. Title casing is inconsistent:

(and a lot more)

2 Likes

Great points! And thank you for testing and posting!

Would you mind fixing the capitalization issues yourself on the CMS? I think you have access! Would be a great test of that workflow.

All other points are well made and I’ll fix on the next pass now that i18n seems to be working.

Should I follow Fedora Magazine’s Grammar and style tips or GNOME HIG’s writing style? (Or something else?)

1 Like