DNF keeps trying to install weak dependency 'mesa-va-drivers' which conflicts with 'mesa-va-drivers-freeworld'

Today, for the second time, I had to tell DNF to not attempt to install weak dependencies because it tries to install a package that conflicts with an already-installed package (from RPMFusion).

Should I just set the DNF default to never install weak dependencies?

1 Like

Try

dnf upgrade --setopt=install_weak_deps=False

This is a modified example from man dnf.

Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing, but I’ve never had to do this until the past two weeks.

This is being discussed here, 6426 – Review request: mesa-freeworld - Mesa graphics libraries

you should also be able to do: --exclude=mesa-va-drivers

1 Like

I’m facing again this issue now with Fedora 38… is anyone else having problems?

Please post the exact messages you see. With F37 there was a delay in having the mesa-va-drivers-freeworld package version not matching the mesa-filesystem version. However with F38 that should not be an issue.

The packages gstreamer1-vaapi and mesa-dri-drivers recommends mesa-va-drivers(x86-64) which is provided by mesa-va-drivers but not by mesa-va-drivers-freeworld.

1 Like

Strange you say that.

# dnf list installed mesa*
Installed Packages
mesa-dri-drivers.x86_64                                                 23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       
mesa-filesystem.x86_64                                                  23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       
mesa-libEGL.x86_64                                                      23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       
mesa-libEGL-devel.x86_64                                                23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       
mesa-libGL.x86_64                                                       23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       
mesa-libGLU.x86_64                                                      9.0.1-8.fc38                                         @fedora        
mesa-libgbm.x86_64                                                      23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       
mesa-libgbm-devel.x86_64                                                23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       
mesa-libglapi.x86_64                                                    23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       
mesa-libxatracker.x86_64                                                23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       
mesa-va-drivers-freeworld.x86_64                                        23.0.2-1.fc38                                        @rpmfusion-free
mesa-vulkan-drivers.x86_64                                              23.0.2-2.fc38                                        @updates       

# dnf list installed gstreamer1-vaapi
Installed Packages
gstreamer1-vaapi.x86_64                                                1.22.2-1.fc38                                                @updates

Note that I have mesa-dri-drivers, mesa-va-drivers-freeworld, and gstreamer1-vaapi all installed with no errors.

It depends on the exact version of the mesa packages. The maintainers are currently hard at work trying to fix the conflicts between the mesa packages from Fedora and the ones from Rpmfusion. So what was true last week may not be true tomorrow.