Yoga 7 won't wake from sleep

Thinkpad Yoga 7 Gen 8 (18ARP8)
Fedora Workstation latest edition.

Have been tinkering with trying to get this machine to run Fedora properly for quite a few weeks now. Slowly losing the will (mic and speakers), but now it has done this for the first time, and done it quite a few times today.

If I close the lid (or it goes into standby due to inactivity), it won’t re-awaken when i open or hit keys. Num Lock light is on, as is power light, so it’s certainly alive. but screen stays blank. Only opytion I have is to force reboot with power button, not ideal.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

PS Still testing but it MAY only be when I close the lid rather than letting it time out with lid open.

OR it may be just a matter of how long it has been asleep, not entirely sure yet

What kernel version are you running? uname -r will give you that. Since you said you have the latest, if you have an older kernel, you can try that first.

Future me :

Here is some info on getting some drivers working on your machine since you mentioned having issues with Audio etc.

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro running Fedora 34 (with WiFi) - gnarlyware

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Lenovo_Yoga_7i

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Lenovo_Yoga_7_Gen_7_(14ARB7)

Thanks, confused by you suggesting I may have an old kernel, how is that possible when I am on “the latest” version of Fedora?

I ran that command, says I am using kernel 6.6.14-200

I have scoured loads of threads regarding audio, including those, and sadly they are just beyond my knowledge level :frowning:

thanks again for replying. I effing love the community spirit here, but VERY sadly feel I am coming close to finding Fedora is just outside my skill level to use. Trouble is, I refuse to use Windows, and now Apple too. So I am kinda screwed, and may have to just keep on trying. Time is running out though!
Cheers

P.S. I am pretty broke, but it’s so important to me to get all my computing over to Fedora (at least away from Apple and never Windows) that I’d consider paying someone if I could find someone who could either talk me through some of the suggested fixes, or maybe even post my damn machine to them!

I am asking you to run an older kernel, so when you shutdown the machine, choose a previous kernel version. Since you are using Latest Fedora, you could have 3 choices of kernels to run at boot. If your problem is recent, and older kernel might work for now.

If you reboot the machine, do you have 2 other options?

I might be able to help with that. I have a Lenovo laptop as well, but it is an Ideapad Gaming. I am surprised by the trouble you are having with the device considering everything should be working by now.

Really appreciate your replies HC.
Re kernel: I guess I don’t understand what it is. I thought it was part of the OS.
No, I don’t get any options when I reboot the machine, first thing I see after power on is Yoga logo with Fedora logo underneath, then password screen to decrypt my hard drive, then user login. no ‘grub’ (i assume thats the screen you’re suggesting I might see?)
I have tried booting from 3 other linux flavours today, live installers of popOS, Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I created an installer for each just to see if any of them had better audio or mic detected, no for both on all three. Fedora seems like my best bet (which is good as I had no intention of using any others, fedora is my strong preference). When booting from those live installers I got a ‘grub’ screen each time. But not when I do a normal power up on the installed Fedora.

Ah, so you’re the one with the Ideapad! I knew someone had mentioned those. If I had money to spare I’d buy a used one to try out. I do love this machine but not so much that I can use it with more than a few minor bugs. Mic and audio is pretty major, as is sleep mode not waking up, and I have not put my data on yet so I am pretty scared about what other bugs I might find. But I am not going back to Apple so I guess I will have to find a way, and that MAY require a change of machine, desperately hope not!

thanks again

When you boot your machine, you can press Esc or Ctrl to bring up the Grub menu. I used to use Esc. This will show you the 3 kernels that were previously installed on your system and you can choose to boot into one other than the one you are currently running which is kernel 6.6.14-200. I can’t test for you since I no longer use Grub ( I haven’t since Fedora 25. . . ) but I believe this will solve your issue on sleep.

For example running rpm -qa | grep kernel-core which show I have 3 options to choose from on my next boot. If you have more than 1, choose one other than the one you currently have.

kernel-core-6.6.9-100.fc38.x86_64
kernel-core-6.6.12-100.fc38.x86_64
kernel-core-6.6.13-100.fc38.x86_64
1 Like

Screen blanking with the lid open happens with the machine still running. Unlock the screen and everything is exactly as it was when the screen was blanked.

Closing the lid normally puts the laptop into suspend. This is low power – sleeping – and almost everything except memory is idled. Wakeup restores the system to active state.

Those are completely different scenarios and are handled differently within the OS.

In most cases like yours it seems the problem has been that certain devices, often GPUs, do not get restored to the proper status during wake up from suspend. The user has to take action to restore full functionality and that often has been a forced power off and reboot – which means suspend is useless and a controlled shutdown would be safer for data integrity.

Some have found fixes so searching here about suspend and wakeup problems may lead you to an answer.

1 Like

@joeyjonnson Please post your results when you have time, I have heard of issues with sleep/suspend with certain kernels. If you do not have good results maybe we can help further.

1 Like

I am confused by that, what do you believe will solve the issue on sleep? My choosing an older kernel? My understanding is i need a newer kernel, once they patch/solve this issue! This is a new laptop, it’s not one that didn’t have these problems before and then developed them after a recent update, in case I gave the wrong impression.

I used CTRL (thanks) and now know how to get a grub menu :slight_smile: - here she is…

Booting with the older kernel may show if this is a regression introduced with the newer kernel or not. It is a testing method to assist in determining the cause of your problems. I see that you have both the 6.6.11 and 6.6.13 kernels so trying those one at a time may help track down the cause of this issue.

Thanks Jeff. But I fear people are placing too much confidence in me or assuming knowledge I don’t have. How could ‘Booting with the older kernel’ show is this is a regression? Forgive me, I am asking out of curiosity rather than questioning you out of thinking you’re wrong. Do you mean if I boot from older kernel, and then test audio, and find it is indeed better or that I have a microphone suddenly, that will indicate a regression? If so, I will give it a whirl tomorrow!

and just to confirm, booting from another kernel wont ‘change’ anything with my current installation will it? everything will be the same once I reboot to current kernel, is that right?

thanks

The regression would be that yes, it works with the older kernel but does not with the newer kernel. That would seem to indicate a regression in the kernel or drivers used since what did work with the older kernel does not work with the newer kernel.

No, booting from a different already installed kernel will not change anything. It is already installed and you just selected that one to boot from.

Selecting a kernel to boot from only modifies which kernel and driver modules are active. It does not alter anything that has been installed.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Assumptions are the mother of all mistakes, but nevertheless I have been assuming that, as this is a brand new machine (and there are many threads about audio issues - to name just one GitHub - tomsom/yoga-linux: Run Linux on the Lenovo Yoga 7 14 (14ARB7) with AMD Ryzen 6800U (Rembrand).), this is probably a new problem and no older kernel is likely to have had it working and the new one doesn’t, but hey who am I to assume anything at this point?!

(I would also add that someone commented somewhere on a forum that kernel 6.7 has apparently ‘fixed the audio’, but I think that was for a slighly older 7th Gen Yoga 9 or 7i, not my exact machine, but very similar and (IIRC) it was an AMD Ryzen version like mine)

Sounds like kernels is where drivers live, is that right? If you are able to hit me with your best 1-2 sentence explanation of what a kernel is, I’d love that :smiley:

thanks, I will do as advised tomorrow and report back after testing audio in all available kernels.

Oh and BTW - another question! - I assume I shouldn’t be selecting the option second from bottom (‘rescue’)? Probably dumb question but always best to ask. Or maybe I should have taken Margaret Thatcher’s advice: (paraphrased) I’t’s better to keep one’s mouth closed and appear as a fool, than to open it and confirm it.’ :smiley:

A computer has several layers.
Hardware
kernel (interfaces with and controls the hardware) (drivers are used to access & control each specific piece of hardware)
applications (interface between the kernel and the user to perform tasks)
User

There are many details in each but that is the general overview.

Thanks, but where does the operating system fit into those layers? This is the main source of my confusion. Clearly the kernel can’t be part of the OS if I can load the same OS but a different kernel, so am I right in thinking the kernel is ‘below’ the OS, like “blobs” sitting on chips?

You seem to be misunderstanding things.

The OS is the complete software group consisting of all the layers combined. The OS has many different pieces and which are selected at each layer is user choice. When you installed fedora you installed the OS. All the software used to manage the hardware makes up the OS.

The same OS may have different kernels, different apps, different desktop environments, and it still is the same OS, just configured slightly different. How they are selected by the developers as a group makes up the OS. How they are utilized by the user is individual choice.

This is the same concept as having 2 different machines running the same OS even though the hardware is different (such as a laptop and a desktop). All the differing drivers and kernel are flexible enough to manage different hardware yet to the user it all appears the same.

Yup !

:100:

So in hindsight, Booting the older kernel should solve the Sleep issue you were experiencing. This is kind of common and usually gets fixed during future kernel updates as bug reports show.

So, my question now to you before we discuss the other issues is, @joeyjonnson Does the sleep issue occur now that you have booted into an older kernel?

Any chance you could please remind me the exact machine you’re using so i can see if I can find a used one if i have to ditch this Yoga 7. Can you confirm what is not working on yours, if anything? Is the audio decent? Mic working? Does it suspend when you close lid without wearing down battery as fast as if it was fully awake and working??! (Mine does!) thanks