WiFi USB Adapter not working after Update to Kernel 5.19

At the moment i am running the 5.18.19 Kernel and I am using a TP-Link AC600 USB WiFi Adapter. Because there a no official drivers for this Adapter, i had to install them manually.
After the update to 5.19, the Adapter isnt working anymore.
is there a way to restore the driver without having to completely re-download and re-install it?

Since the driver did not come in rpm form from a supported repo that does updates I would venture that the answer is likely ‘NO!’

From 5.17 to 5.18 i dont had to reinstall it.

Please open a terminal, type the following commands,hit Enter key and post the output.
The entire line from the output provides identification of the wifi adapter and usbiids for the wireless chipset :
lsusb
Identify the existence of and name of the kernel module using the usbidds of the wireless chipset:
For running kernel(uname -r) or provide kernel version, replace : with .* of usbidds from lsusb:
grep -i XXXX.*XXXX /lib/modules/uname -r/modules.alias
Example on my system
us 002 Device 002: ID 050d:945a Belkin Components F7D1101 v1 Basic Wireless
Adapter [Realtek RTL8188SU]
grep -i 050d.*945a /lib/modules/<uname -r>/modules.alias
alias usb:v050Dp945Addcdscdpiciscipin r8712u
The r8712u kernel module is the kernel module driver loaded into the kernel for my Belkin N150 USB wireless adapter.
The wifi adapter chipset is the Realtek RTL8188SU.

This output will show your network device names if the kernel/driver/device combo is at least marginally working:
ls /sys/class/net
The majority of linux wireless adapter drivers require the installation of non-binary firmware in addition to the kernel-module. Check dmesg for error free firmware loading of firmware by driver:
dmesg | grep firmware

There is no need to YELL the text explaining the purpose.

We all are able to read and the purpose for the highlighted commands is to separate the command from the rest of the text. If you look at other posts throughout this forum you find very little bold used

Please only use bold or caps in a minimal fashion to accent important things and not for large amounts of text in your posts.

Thank you for your comment.

When i enter the grep command, and insert the kernel version/folder vor <uname -r>, nothing happens.

Via dkms status i can see that the driver is installed, but i think, just still for 5.18 and not 5.19

Reinstallation of the driver via dkms does not work and gives following error: “DKMS tree already contains: 8812au-5.6.4.2_35491.20191025
You cannot add the same module/version combo more than once”

When updating to a new kernel version the kernel-devel package must be installed before installing the same version of kernel, kernel-core,and kernel-modules.
Post install script of kernel-core triggers dkms to compile/install 8812au driver module, if kernel-devel providing the kernel headers is not installed dkms can’t build the driver module.
For example to force dkms 8812au build for kernel-core-5.19.8-200.fc36.
Verify kernel-devel-5.19.8-200.fc36 is installed.

sudo dnf install kernel-devel-5.19.8-200.fc36

Reinstall kernel-core–5.19.8-200.fc36 to trigger dkms to build 8821au driver/module.

sudo dnf reinstall kernel-core-5.19.8-200.fc36

Thanks, that helped.
Also the driver had, according to github, initially problems with 5.19 which are now fixed

1 Like