Why you chose Linux and Specially Fedora

This is such a huge question. A small portion of an answer:

When the ibm pc hit the market there was a wonderful freeing of people to innovate. You could get a full set of technical documents both for the hardware and the software. There were lots of individuals and businesses coming up with really useful improvements that were not possible in the mainframe/mini realm.

But ibm tried to put the genie back into the bottle with the ps2 and microsoft became the borg assimilating everything by hook or by crook. The apple ecosystem fostered a get rich quick mentality that never seems to focus on freedom or the betterment of humanity.

In '91 a new concept crossed my path, gnu and copyleft and communities of users, developers, businesses and such that made up an ecology that fostered collaboration without exploitation and free enterprise in a healthy capitalistic way. Products and services were being exchanged with profits coming in the form of others contributing causing the whole to be much more beneficial to all.

There are still lots of ways people exploit each other even in the “open source” realms. Overall there have been enough good actors and I know of nowhere else to look for anything better. I cannot define what a good actor is and there are plenty of wolves in sheep’s clothing so watch out for yourself.

Fedora allows me to customize at quite a fine grain with kickstart and ansible. Using a binary distribution is so much less work than a source based distribution or rolling your own from each project’s upstream. Plus I like it that there are many users of the same binaries thus bugs and security issues have a better likelihood of being discovered and repaired more quickly.

In 1991, I was at a customers site, talking with their project dev’s and managers, about a particualr automation line I was helping them design/install/commission. The Engineering Manager, a very gregarious fellow who suggested I look at Linux and specifically slackware. I have used it (Linux) on my personal system since, and use it today on some of my work laptops. Shortly after rolling my own kernel a few times with slackware, I started using Redhat, then came Fedora (eventually). I must say that I have bought and used OS/2, Solaris 10, Sun Java Desktop. As well distro-hopped the usual suspects, but found Fedora still fit the best for my needs and comfort.
As for PC’s in general, I have been here from the (near) beginning of the fad. I started my life with computers working at an electronics store where I built 48K mac clone motherboards for my employer who sold them as kits. Then the IBM PC was born and my employer began selling PC Kits. My first PC cost me about 3000 dollars Canadian, and it was an IBM XT clone. In those days AMD was just Intels main chip manufacturer, they hadn’t made their own CPU as of yet.