Why wayland anyways?

X11 is obsolete and wayland is the only other game in town.

I started off in a purely cli computing environment. The earliest gui on unix for me was probably solaris 6 and openwindows which was x11 based, it also had display postscript capabilities. Though I first ran linux in '91 it wasn’t until slackware with x11 came along that I used it as my primary computer at home. I am no expert on x11 deficiencies but I have observed that it has not evolved in a very long time which is not good.

When I set up three computers to run plan 9 I was intregued by the adherence to the fundamental unix concept that device use was reading and writing files even for the 8 1/2 windowing system.

Later the berlin windowing system came along which sounded interesting though as I recall did not attempt to support any x11 compatibility.

Nowadays having very low latency with large pixel counts, fast refresh rates and 3d rendering is desirable. Security is paramount. Muli-user on a single gpu (sriov per vm, container, …) is also a want. Remote display cannot be ignored. Abandoning x11 compatibility is okay with me.

Wayland, especially with weston and purely wayland/weston apps, is lightweight and quick. I have yet to try out wlroots stuff. I know of no other linux gui project that has come as far as wayland.

What else is in wayland’s favor?

1 Like

It is available in Fedora, which leads systems my colleagues use (RHEL and Ubuntu) and has SElinux in default installs. My use case is making sure some scientific batch processing codes will continue working on linux: replacing libraries that are no longer maintained, porting to current R/Python versions, etc.

As you summarised wayland’s features are very desirable in a modern graphical environment that X11 could not provide for technically.

There are many developers willing to work on wayland.
There is next to none that wish to work on X11.

Here is a project that obviates an advantage towards wayland:
introducing graphics offload

Not quite yet, but going that way

What else is in wayland’s favor?

It’s also been designed for modern modularity to suit future needs. Because X.org has a dated design that doesn’t take that into account, extending its functionality is much like adding duct tape on top of duct tape, rather than fixing the stuff under the duct tape. In many ways, Wayland is a necessary replacement for X.org.

2 Likes