Why is CPU-intensive dnf info running several times per day?

Several times per day, somehow a bunch of processes start running and consuming large amounts of CPU and battery. Many (different) processes are run sequentially, each of which looks something like the following (gotten through htop), but with different packages replacing kmod.x86_64.
/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/dnf info kmod.x86_64
It cycles through many different packages in alphabetical order. The whole process takes about 30 minutes, utilizing a lot of CPU and eating about 10% of my laptop battery (which isn’t great).

Killing each individual process doesn’t really work because each one happens too quickly to stop. I can stop it overall with sudo killall dnf but the whole thing just starts again a few hours later (and I have no idea if killall-ing dnf is a bad idea for other reasons).

Two questions:

1. Why is this happening?
  2. Is there some way I can proactively stop this rather than killing it when I notice it?

You may want to look at a process tree to see what exactly is starting those processes. You can use pstree to get a static list of processes in a tree. You can also use top to see a dynamic view by pressing V to change it to a tree.

1 Like

I experienced high CPU when I started GlobalProtect VPN from Palo Alto Networks.
VPN started dnf, which in turn gathered info from those packages that needed an upgrade.
I was able to reduce the time needed for this procedure and consequenetly high CPU by upgarding the system using dnf.