Whole OS freezes watching a video with MPV

None of the error messages really indicate any kernel lockups.

Could you keep an eye out for when this happens next, and immediately check the full log? If there’s a kernel lockup, it should be reflected in the logs:

You should also check on your memory and swap to see if swapping is causing this:

free -h

Unfortunately I can’t check the logs when this happens. The system is completely freezed. I’ve tried with many key bindings (CTRL ALT CANC, CTRL ALT F1, ALT F4, ESC,…) with no effect. I can only force the shutdown of the PC by long pressing the power button.

Today it happened when I was not watching any video, so it doesn’t seem related to MPV.

Ugh, when you’ve rebooted, see if the previous boot’s logs have anything (before it hung up):

journctl --list-boots

will tell you previous boots and so on:

I had a similar issue, which turned out to be a kernel scheduler bug.

A workaround was to change the default scheduler. I changed mine to elevator=mq-deadline from bfq and that worked for me. Maybe worth a go?

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help

Hi, man. I have exactly the same problem, as you describe, but on Fedora KDE 31:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-kde-31-freezes-too-much/65022

The thing is, I’m a basic linux user and I don’t understand any of the possible solutions. I don’t know what to do. I feel trapped.

I didn’t had any other freeze after:
-upgrading the kernel from DNF. Use a normal: dnf update --refresh
-removing syncthing

Are you using syncthings? Did you update the kernel?

1 Like

You could try “abrt-cli list” to see if an application or the kernel did crash recently.

I don’t know what sysncthings are.
Remove is something like dnf remove syncthing?

I guess he is speaking about Syncthing - Wikipedia synchronization software.

I like to toggle CapsLock on a freeze… if the CapsLock del toggle too, then it is not so much frozen. I would then try Ctrl-Atl-F3 to go to a console. (It is possible to come back to graphic screen with Alt-F2).

In my case, CTRL-Alt-F3 didn’t work. I’ve tried all the CTRL-Alt-F* from 1 to 7 but nothing happened. :slight_smile:

Hello here. That users has same issues like me on my HP455G laptop.

after upgrade to f32 it got twice freeze. after i create bootable media of F32 KDE from spins by fedora media creator. after installation i tried install rpm fusion from Terminal and it freezed randomly. i have to press long to shut it down.

i had not befor that issues. I think its some bugs.

My laptop is Hp probook 455g
AMD® A10-7300 radeon r6, 10 compute cores 4c+6g × 4
i have uploaded log on google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-NUutgzEuyyguqKoAI47h3Az8Lto_l4N

p.s. I am newbie here and decided to response here than to create new post.

What’s your kernel version? just tipe “uname -a” in the terminal and you will get a string like “5.6.8-300.fc32.x86_64”

I had problem with the *-200 but no more with the *-300 version

3 Likes

Same here. None of the keyboard shortcuts work. Just reboot.

Well, I still have the 200. How do I get the 300?

You just need to update the system.

Type

dnf update --refresh

in the Terminal and it’s done :slight_smile: Please report here if this fix the problem for you

Thanks for reply. mine is:

5.6.6-300.fc32 so u think it was kernel bug?

what is best to have system all updated and secured?

sudo dnf upgrade
sudo dnf --refresh
or
sudo dnf update?

are that commands same?

Ok. I did the dnf update --refresh, a command I didn’t know well and I find out it’s another way to update the system.

I don’t know if I already mentioned it in my original post, but I’ll remind you: every day, after I turn on my PC, the first thing I do is open the terminal and run dnf upgrade, which is the way I update my system. So the kernel and my system in general is updated with the latest that Fedora offers me.

My current kernel, the most recent one, is still 5.6.8-200.fc31.x86_64.

That concludes, that in my case, dnf update --refresh does not solve the problem.

I will continue to report. :nerd_face:

Update command is a deprecated alias for the upgrade command.

Reference:
https://dnf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/command_ref.html#update-command

1 Like