Whole OS freezes watching a video with MPV

Hello,
I updated to Fedora 32 on Apr, 28th. In the last 2 days I had 2 freezes while watching a video on MPV. Unfortunately they are personal videos so I can’t share them with you. I’ll try with some other video and let you know.

I started watching the video, after some time (about 20-30 mins) the video freezes and I can only hear the audio. When the video freezes, all the OS is stuck . I can’t do nothing and pressing any key doesn’t work.

I had to long-press the power button to shutdown the PC. I’m using a very old laptop (2009) with a Intel Core 2 Duo with Integrated Graphic card.

Has someone had the same problem? It never happened on F31

If the sound did continue (not just looping last about 2 seconds)… it seems a good sign. Might have collected error information.

It is probably dependant on your VGA device (output of lspci -nv might be useful).

You should run “journalctl -p3” or “journalctl -p2” and search for when the problem happened.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply. From journalctl -p3 I see some errors from “syncthing”, but I don’t think this could be related, then I see:

mag 02 17:17:06 enrico-fedora setroubleshoot[1178]: SELinux impedisce a pcscd di utilizzare la capacità sys_nice. Per i messaggi SELinux completi, eseguire: sealert -l 7d97db0a-b200-460f-8f73-8ad0e765bf26
mag 02 17:17:09 enrico-fedora setroubleshoot[1178]: SELinux impedisce a accounts-daemon di utilizzare la capacità sys_nice. Per i messaggi SELinux completi, eseguire: sealert -l d88cf178-1784-4d3d-b602-5047b29cb5ad
mag 02 17:17:14 enrico-fedora mate-session[1534]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: object GsmAutostartApp 0x5557b6258240 finalized while still in-construction
mag 02 17:17:14 enrico-fedora mate-session[1534]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: Custom constructor for class GsmAutostartApp returned NULL (which is invalid). Please use GInitable instead.
mag 02 17:17:14 enrico-fedora mate-session[1534]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: object GsmAutostartApp 0x7fdf4c0101a0 finalized while still in-construction
mag 02 17:17:14 enrico-fedora mate-session[1534]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: Custom constructor for class GsmAutostartApp returned NULL (which is invalid). Please use GInitable instead.
mag 02 17:17:15 enrico-fedora setroubleshoot[1178]: SELinux impedisce a tlp un accesso search su cartella /var/lib/snapd. Per i messaggi SELinux completi, eseguire: sealert -l 0e5c859f-5423-4d2f-8e6e-8ab602553b08
mag 02 18:06:23 enrico-fedora setroubleshoot[5288]: SELinux impedisce a pcscd di utilizzare la capacità sys_nice. Per i messaggi SELinux completi, eseguire: sealert -l 7d97db0a-b200-460f-8f73-8ad0e765bf26

Do you see any useful information? I can help you with the translation of the italian messages, but you may understand what do they mean.

Hello, this happened again right now.

This is the journal p2

– Logs begin at Sun 2020-05-03 10:29:52 CEST, end at Sun 2020-05-03 10:31:45 CEST. –
mag 03 10:30:27 enrico-fedora mate-session[1543]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: object GsmAutostartApp 0x561e5ab33a40 finalized while still in-construction
mag 03 10:30:27 enrico-fedora mate-session[1543]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: Custom constructor for class GsmAutostartApp returned NULL (which is invalid). Please use GInitable instead.
mag 03 10:30:27 enrico-fedora mate-session[1543]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: object GsmAutostartApp 0x7fabec0038b0 finalized while still in-construction
mag 03 10:30:27 enrico-fedora mate-session[1543]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: Custom constructor for class GsmAutostartApp returned NULL (which is invalid). Please use GInitable instead.

The Journal p3 is pretty similar than the above one. Is this a MATE bug?

I frankly does not know much about those MATE error messages. I don’t think they are significatives. And I don’t think they are related to your freeze while watching video.

You could try an old kernel like:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1416622
That imply something like downloading:
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/kernel/5.4.0/1.fc32/x86_64/kernel-5.4.0-1.fc32.x86_64.rpm
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/kernel/5.4.0/1.fc32/x86_64/kernel-debug-modules-5.4.0-1.fc32.x86_64.rpm
in an empty directory, open a terminal, cd there, and do “sudo dnf install kernel*.rpm” then reboot … Don’t do it if you don’t feel at ease with this however.

1 Like

The last time it didn’t happened when watching a video, but I’ll try to wait for the next kernel update. I’m not so expert and I don’t feel confortable installing an older version. I hope this will fix the problem because it’s really annoying.

Thanks!

None of the error messages really indicate any kernel lockups.

Could you keep an eye out for when this happens next, and immediately check the full log? If there’s a kernel lockup, it should be reflected in the logs:

You should also check on your memory and swap to see if swapping is causing this:

free -h

Unfortunately I can’t check the logs when this happens. The system is completely freezed. I’ve tried with many key bindings (CTRL ALT CANC, CTRL ALT F1, ALT F4, ESC,…) with no effect. I can only force the shutdown of the PC by long pressing the power button.

Today it happened when I was not watching any video, so it doesn’t seem related to MPV.

Ugh, when you’ve rebooted, see if the previous boot’s logs have anything (before it hung up):

journctl --list-boots

will tell you previous boots and so on:

I had a similar issue, which turned out to be a kernel scheduler bug.

A workaround was to change the default scheduler. I changed mine to elevator=mq-deadline from bfq and that worked for me. Maybe worth a go?

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help

Hi, man. I have exactly the same problem, as you describe, but on Fedora KDE 31:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-kde-31-freezes-too-much/65022

The thing is, I’m a basic linux user and I don’t understand any of the possible solutions. I don’t know what to do. I feel trapped.

I didn’t had any other freeze after:
-upgrading the kernel from DNF. Use a normal: dnf update --refresh
-removing syncthing

Are you using syncthings? Did you update the kernel?

1 Like

You could try “abrt-cli list” to see if an application or the kernel did crash recently.

I don’t know what sysncthings are.
Remove is something like dnf remove syncthing?

I guess he is speaking about Syncthing - Wikipedia synchronization software.

I like to toggle CapsLock on a freeze… if the CapsLock del toggle too, then it is not so much frozen. I would then try Ctrl-Atl-F3 to go to a console. (It is possible to come back to graphic screen with Alt-F2).

In my case, CTRL-Alt-F3 didn’t work. I’ve tried all the CTRL-Alt-F* from 1 to 7 but nothing happened. :slight_smile:

Hello here. That users has same issues like me on my HP455G laptop.

after upgrade to f32 it got twice freeze. after i create bootable media of F32 KDE from spins by fedora media creator. after installation i tried install rpm fusion from Terminal and it freezed randomly. i have to press long to shut it down.

i had not befor that issues. I think its some bugs.

My laptop is Hp probook 455g
AMD® A10-7300 radeon r6, 10 compute cores 4c+6g × 4
i have uploaded log on google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-NUutgzEuyyguqKoAI47h3Az8Lto_l4N

p.s. I am newbie here and decided to response here than to create new post.

What’s your kernel version? just tipe “uname -a” in the terminal and you will get a string like “5.6.8-300.fc32.x86_64”

I had problem with the *-200 but no more with the *-300 version

3 Likes