Where's my Applications folder?

Thanks Jeff. I’ve added that command to my growing learning list! However, I am still hoping someone (LS ideally) can tell me what sort of information is being asked for, i…e OS, kernel, processor. Pasting huge lists of my personal system configuration online isn’t something I like to do generally, for privacy reasons. Saying that, I did do a probe on LHDB so maybe a link to that would also be an easy way to provide it (as I believe it is privacy-aware).

Great stuff, all bookmarked for reading thanks. But I am still frustratingly not seeming to get my point across. Terminal has no place in my question, or the answer thereto. I have a GUI dialogue in Thunderbird, which is supposed to let me navigate to (and select) an app for opening PDFs. I am hopnig someone can tell me the secret to finding Document Viewer in that GUI dialogue, unless there isn’t one of course!

Thanks

Evince/Document Viewer is already knowing to be my default app for PDFs system wide.
The weird thing is that if I choose “System Handler” in Thunderbird, it doesn’t work, nothing happens when I click to open a PDF in an email.

I did run that useful command anyway to query for default PDF app, it responded and confirmed:

org.gnome.Evince.desktop

BINGO!! - Thanks! Got it. Sadly, even that isn’t working! I went to home/bin and found and chose evince. Nothing happens when opening PDFs, nothing at all. I then changed to the evince in the home/usr/bin directory, still same, nothing happens.

weird. Maybe it’s a thunderbird issue, everything in Fedora seems to be setup correctly.

The inxi -Fzxx command provides all that information and is designed to not provide identifying information, including omitting serial numbers, etc, from the output while still identifying the hardware and drivers.

Try running that to see what is displayed.

1 Like

Are you running the flatpak version of thunderbird?

If so it may need permissions to get to the evince file.

You could try installing the flatpak evince and see if that works.

1 Like

You can’t solve linux issues without using the terminal: a) screenshots are often unreadable on laptop screens, while the plain text you get with a terminal can be found with search engines, b) journalctl is a text application that provides enormously detailed logs, and c) the dnf package manager can provide details of installed packages needed to replicate your configuration.

Note: When pasting plain text, you should use the (</> button, or just type 3 backquotes before and after the pasted block of text).

We need to know how you installed Thunderbird – it is the first step in being able to reproduce a problem. Gnome Software offers Thunderbird as a native application and as a flatpak. Mozilla’s Installing Thunderbird on Linux offers flatpak and snap packages iin addition to distro package managers and various downloads. Here dnf info thunderbird gives:

Installed Packages
Name         : thunderbird
Version      : 115.9.0
Release      : 1.fc39
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 293 M
Source       : thunderbird-115.9.0-1.fc39.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : updates
Summary      : Mozilla Thunderbird mail/newsgroup client
URL          : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
License      : MPL-2.0 OR GPL-2.0-or-later OR LGPL-2.0-or-later
Description  : Mozilla Thunderbird is a standalone mail and newsgroup client.
1 Like

Excellent thanks. I notice it wants to install quite a few things, i assume that’s as expected and I can safely proceed? (i can paste the list if needed)

yes it looks like I am running flatpak version of TB…

1 Like

Thanks. Here that command gives:

Fedora 39 - x86_64                               24 MB/s |  89 MB     00:03    
Fedora 39 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64                                         1.9 kB/s | 2.6 kB     00:01    
determining the fastest mirror (2 hosts).. done.===============================]  43 kB/s |  16 kB     00:00 ETA
Fedora 39 - x86_64 - Updates                                                      17 MB/s |  35 MB     00:01    
determining the fastest mirror (18 hosts).. done.      ===                     ] ---  B/s |   0  B     --:-- ETA
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Free                                                  661 kB/s | 639 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Free - Updates                                                                                     607 kB/s | 241 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree                                                                                            1.2 MB/s | 259 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree - NVIDIA Driver                                                                             95 kB/s |  15 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree - Steam                                                                                     14 kB/s | 2.1 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 39 - Nonfree - Updates                                                                                  241 kB/s |  86 kB     00:00    
Available Packages
Name         : thunderbird
Version      : 115.9.0
Release      : 1.fc39
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 109 M
Source       : thunderbird-115.9.0-1.fc39.src.rpm
Repository   : updates
Summary      : Mozilla Thunderbird mail/newsgroup client
URL          : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
License      : MPL-2.0 OR GPL-2.0-or-later OR LGPL-2.0-or-later
Description  : Mozilla Thunderbird is a standalone mail and newsgroup client.

Of course!
That all comes from fedora repos and inxi cannot install and function without the dependencies it pulls in.

1 Like

This looks like an issue with the Fedora flatpak, I observed similar results after doing a quick install.

You may want to try installing from flathub and/or installing from the Fedora repos to see if that works.

From the command line:
flatpak remove thunderbird

if you have flathub enabled:
flatpak install thunderbird
when it asks select flathub vice fedora, install and see if that works.
or
sudo dnf install thunderbird

2 Likes

Added f39, gnome, workstation

If this is a Fedora Flatpak issue that may be, I dont have these with the Flathub Flatpak either.

@ilikelinux no this was not a duplicate and has nothing to do with legacy features.

This is about enabling app portal access in Thunderbird, as this should fix the displayed apps issue.

The about:config is not only for privacy settings but in general stuff not preconfigured.

Firefox and Thunderbird are the same program underneath, both have nearly the same settings and everything.

As I wrote in my comment, you can access the about:config in Thunderbird graphically under “main settings” and “edit configuration” on the bottom.

Here you could try to change the value for widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker and xxxx.mime-handler to 1 which may solve issues.

2 Likes

You may want to remove the Fedora Flatpak repo, and install your apps from Flathub (especially if they are verified and have a good security rating).

Flathub has official apps, Fedora Flatpaks are repackaged RPMs, in theory more secure, slim and unified but may have more bugs (like this one) and consume storage space and RAM as they use their own Runtime.

flatpak remote-rm fedora
1 Like

Thanks Joe. Bit confused so just want to check my understanding before proceeding…

1. I have Thunderbird installed via a Flatpak from Fedora’s repo
  2. I need to uninstall that, and install the Flatpak from Flathub (which I think is another repo?)
  3. To do that I can do:
flatpak remove thunderbird

then

sudo dnf install thunderbird

Is that right? if so, I have to ask before proceeding:

I spent WEEKS on a monstrous task of converting my mac mail to thunderbird, a seriously huge task (due to all sorts of reasons, python scripts doing the conversions but trouble due to Mac Mail reporting incorrect folder sizes before the export… long story). So, will doing the above kill or delete my mail, settings, accounts etc? Or will it all be retained in the profile folder, only the app will be replaced? Hopefully the latter is correct and I can dive in! thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

You should back your profile, email and settings up before messing with any of this stuff just to be safe. Please don’t remove anything until you’re comfortable with what you have saved off.

What you have posted would install the fedora repo version of Thunderbird which would also work.

You can have both of these installed at the same time if you just want to see if it works.

You’ll only want one of them running at a time though.

You will need to set up your account again once installed.

The ram use is very likely the same as all runtimes are based on the freedesktop runtime. Fedora Flatpaks are official apps too, and much more tested to work with Fedora. Whereas things from Flathub are not so well vetted for use.

When removing apps like that, the appdata is kept. This is a problem actually but will be useful here.

2 ways to do this:

1: switch to the RPM or the official binary

mv ~/.var/app/org.mozilla.thunderbird/.thunderbird ~/.thunderbird

flatpak uninstall --delete-data thunderbird

# install with DNF or download binary from their Website

This will move the data to the correct location and then uninstall the rest.

2: switch from Fedora Flatpak to official Flathub Flatpak

cp ~/.var/app/org.mozilla.thunderbird ~/thunderbird-BACKUP

flatpak remote-rm fedora
flatpak install -y flathub thunderbird

This will keep the data and uninstall the app, to then replace it with the officially maintained Flathub Flatpak.

I am not sure if that would just work or maybe override data on first startup, so thats why the backup save is there, which is likely not needed.

The user seems to be at least confused about the duplicate Flatpaks, I think this should be noted. Maybe you want to stick to Fedora maintained versions (for whatever reason, as you still need to trust upstream), but if that is not the case, poorly having multiple Flatpak remotes is confusing.

1 Like

Thanks, I don’t understand the above though. This is so hard for me. Lately I’m feeling like maybe I should have stuck with Mac, at least I knew what was going on. Just bloody hated it and that motivated me away.
Anyway… I think your option 2 makes sense, at least I think I can do it. I dont know how to backup my email data etc, on Mac i just relied on TimeMachine backups and CarbonCopyClones in the safe, felt very secure with that process. I haven’t even started backups yet on Linux (more learning curve I fear)

“Maybe you want to stick to Fedora maintained versions” - I don’t know what those are but suspect those are the one I have already, rather than Flathub, is that right?

1 Like

In Gnome Software, you get a pulldown list:

“Fedora maintained” refers to the entries from fedoraproject.org.

1 Like

Does the official thunderbird documentation help?

1 Like