What does it take to install arm image on sbc not listed as supported?

I have a collection of random sbcs that I would be interested in running coreos on if it is possible to do so.

Of the boards I could find images other than just the website for the board maker, the odroid hc2 and nanopi r5s are the only ones I have identified so far. There are a couple orangepi but I think none of them are models listed as supported in arm-image-installer.

I’ve used armbian and some other distros for one or both of them before and I’m wondering if that is an indicator of what is needed to boot other distros already being available. I’ve been trying to read up on sbc boot procedures between work shifts but most of it seems to be going over my head and I likely don’t know enough terminology to search effectively.

Does anyone have advice or recommended reading? I’m also trying to understand what arm-image-installer does and if that can either be made to work or if what it does can be done manually for unsupported boards.

Hello @grasshacques and welcome to :fedora: !

Fedora CoreOS uses coreos-installer for machine provisioning.

I would recommend Provisioning Fedora CoreOS on the Raspberry Pi 4 :: Fedora Docs as a starting point.

Added arm

Thanks, somehow I scrolled through the page and missed the rpi section. I guess the bare metal section gave me tunnel vision. And I was mixing documentation tabs from other editions of fedora.

It also just occurred to me that some of these boards are probably old enough to be 32 bit also so I’ll have to ID them and check the specs if any are 64. This might be dead in the water before getting to the point of trying to boot on non rpi sbc.