What are Gnome's criteria to maximize the window of an application after its invocation?

I noticed that if you enlarge a program’s window so that it covers a huge amount of the desktop (do not let the window cover the desktop completely, just keep some space left), it will be started as maximized next time.

Example:

• open Files (usually, its window is small enough so that it won’t start maximized)
  • move and resize File’s window so that it is occupying almost all of the desktop space (ensure to keep a bit of the desktop visible around it)
  • close Files
  • now open Files again, and watch it jumping to maximized (and double click the title bar for restoring the actual geometry you’ve set before)

As I guess that this is a feature: does anyone of you know how Gnome decides whether to start a program maximized or not? Is it because of some Gnome design and aesthetics rules?

Gnome stores apps settings including your window size preference on your user data base. When opening an app, the settings are read and adjusted accordingly.

1 Like

But this doesn’t answer my question why/when it’s jumping to a maximized window instead of using the last used geometry.